Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shifter handle assembly has a lot of play to it and it seems that it is getting worse. The shifter always seems to bind a bit when putting it into gear and this has been an intermittent problem since the car was purchased almost two years ago. The car is not raced and I do not force the shifter into gear.

Is this an item that should be covered under warranty or will the shifter have to break first in order for me to have it fixed? and is this the reason that Ford redesigned the entire shifter mechanism on the transmission, to the cables and then the shifter assembly inside the vehicle?

Also, it seems to be worse that now the Dealer just replaced the clutch assembly, pilot bearing and throw out bearing a couple of weeks ago (under warranty).

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Well, it sounds to me like the shifter is out of adjustment, which can be done by removing the trans. I would take it back, and yes, it is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I need to clarify a bit.

The shifter inside the car is sloppy. The stick has a lot of play front to rear, at least 1/2" of extra travel to the front and 1/2" to the rear.

I'm going to guess that below where the stick enters the base of the shifter there is a ball & pivot that is inside the base that, when one shifts in/out of gear/neutral, it acts upon the dual-point pawl that is at the right exterior of the base to which both cables are attached.

I wonder if the shifter assembly can be serviced?

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
watch out that your base isnt start to break!!! its only plastic (killed mine at the strip 1 time). if it loox suspect, get a new 1 from the dealer (only 15bux)...cuz if you rip a gear and it breaks, who knows what pullin that cable on a broken base will do to your tranny.

-Ult

1 - 4 of 4 Posts