Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know, these things SUCK!

BUT....My wife wants one so I've been looking around a bit.

So far I've driven a few Escapes/Tributes, and this is my favorite. I used to sell these things so I know them in and out and unfortunately, how little mark up there is in them. I like the power of the six and the overall looks/ergonomics. I think this is the sportiest one I've driven.

Right now due to a few items I'm having done to the SVTF I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport as a rental ( I chucked up the extra 10 bux for it ) and ther are few pluses/minuses to this thing. For the good, I think it's kinda neet looking, not a nice and clean as the Escape/Tribby but more unique and distintive. The interior is as nice as the Ford but not as nice as the Tribby. It has the 3.7L V6 and they both feel to me about the same. I think DC uses too much plastic, and the doors look like tall slabs and the dash is just vertical also, Definitely not as nice as the Ford/Mazda.

The Liberty also feels bigger, it sways more with the wind and just feels more truck-like. The thing is quieter though, the Escape has alot more wind noise but I'm told the '02-'03 resolved this. The stereo sounds the same, but I think the Ford wins with the 6 disc in dash and 7 speaker system.

I also drove an Xterra, but it was an '01 and didn't have the SC motor so it was a dawg. It also just looked cheap and featureless inside. Just like the old Nissan trucks did, it was amazing how much this truck resembled my dad's old '87 Pathfinder. The Xterra looks great outside though, and I have yet to drive a new one.

I drove the Rav4 and it doesn't compare at all, nowhere near the power and a little too small for me, even th wife wasn't impressed. The CR-V is also out, I just don't like that thing, and the Element? LOLOL I'd rather drive a Volvo if I want something overly boxy.

I think I'll end up with an Escape, but will probably go with the Tribute for the longer warranty, but the Escape will come cheaper I'm sure.

What are your thoughts?????

G

·
0 Posts
I ended up buying a 98 CR-V and I am very happy with it. If I were in the market for a small SUV again I would go for the new CR-V, it's 4 banger but it meets my need. Good gas mileage, comfortable and safe. Or may be Honda Element since it's so good looking. After all, powerful SUV is not needed, most SUVs can't turn anyway

=dRe=

·
Registered
355 Posts
i love the element, reminds me of the early IH scouts in style which I like. But I could see an older woman feeling dumb in one. I am 19 and a guy so its my style, I would trade in my zx3 for one if i wouldn't take such a loss. the cr-v is actually a really nice suv, that has some nice options. but I also really like liberty renegade. I also for some reason think the vue is nice.

[ 04-23-2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: 03zx3 ]

·
Registered
374 Posts
Today, my dad traded in his 98 CRV and got an 03 Hyundai Santa Fe. VERY nice car, great ride, great features, great price. Yeah, it's a Hyundai, but that 10 year 100,000 mile warranty just kinda sticks out. Also, it's got less problems per car than anything else out there, whereas the Trbute/Escape are the highest.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Since it sounds like you are leaning more towards the Escape/Tribute I would say for looks and a longer warranty go for the Tribute as I think Mazda did a nicer styling job then Ford.If it is for the best deal for your money you would probably want to go with the Escape.Oh,and deffinately go for the V6 as the 4 cylinder engine is gutless as per all the car mags that have tested them.Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't it funny hen we think of the four as being gutless when in fact it's the same Zetec as in our beloved Focus ( not the SVTF I mean. )

I'm going to wait until the Mariner comes out, Hyundai and Kia just don't have the longevity for me, and if you think Ford has bad resale, look at Korean resale.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Originally posted by Osiris:
I think I'll end up with an Escape, but will probably go with the Tribute for the longer warranty, but the Escape will come cheaper I'm sure.

What are your thoughts?????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Get the Escape and with the savings, get the extended warranty--Ford ESP. If you need help when travelling there is a Ford store in almost every burg in the USofA (almost 6000 dealers)--Mazda can't say that.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right, but since the Tribby and Escape are stablemates a Ford dealership can also service it. The biggest benefit with the Mazda is the longer warranty and yes, it's made to be a little bit nicer in terms of style.

Another notch in the Escape/Tribute's belt is my recent visit to Kenne Bell's website.

For the AWD model their SC kit got the Escape to pull 0-60 in 5.9 secs and the 1/4 mi in 14.4. That's pretty quick for an SUV!

Hell maybe I'll ditch the SVTF for one!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was in a 2003 Honda CRV the other night. I thought it was a really nice little truck. You can feel the quality throughout the interior and the back seat had a ton of room. They also run for ever hand have a fantastic resale value. It has also been getting 28mpg.

[ 04-23-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: eurozx3 ]

·
Registered
168 Posts
my sister wanted a mini SUV but when she actually test drove a PT cruiser she liked that alot better....the escape is pretty pricey. Why not a focus wagon with a lift kit...you can get a grill gaurd too

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Wait in get the Hybrid Escape

Or the 2.7L Diesel Explorer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would pick Escape or Tribute. My wife and I had a chance to look at both up close in NYIAS. We love both of them! The only thing I can wish for is an auto floor shifter. I don't like those column shifters at all.

As for CRV, the only two things I don't like about it are the seats and weird handbrake location. Otherwise, it's a great mini-ute.

My wife and I both agree that we need a mini-ute in the future. She wants a Mini, so the mini-ute would be mine. If I were to buy one today, I would pick Escape. However, I kinda want the Land Rover Freelander HSE instead. Why? I guess I love the fact that it's from a luxury brand?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'll defend the RAV4 a bit since I have driven my sister's 02 model and like it quite a bit. But you are right about the size of them. Pretty small, especially for my 6'4 inch frame. I like the 1st gen CR-V's as well, but they aren't exactly power mongers.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That Element is butt-arse ugly and I would rather be driving a hot pink Aztek.

Sorry, no Element for me. It reminds me of that Saturn commercial where all the people are driving cardboard boxes. Besides, I dislike Hondas in general, some are cool but mostly I avoid that marque.

If I had the cabbge, I'd like to see her in a Freelander.

I think it'll be the Escape, thanks to the world of crappy resale I'm already seeing '01's and some '02's coming in around 12-15K.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
See if I was to get a SUV right now I would lean toward the Kia Sorento. I like the styling of it, and the fit and finish. IT also comes LOADED with features, even things you would never think to look for! The only thing is it really is a mid size SUV, with midsize gas mileage, not a mini one...
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?modelid=100502662&competingmodelid=100502662&competingmodelid=100502706&modelid=100502706&competingmodelid=100502811&modelid=100502811&competingmodelid=100502827&modelid=100502827&competingmod elid=100502890&modelid=100502890&competingmodelid=100502908&modelid=100502908&op=19&tid=edmunds.n.miptype.competingvehicles..0.Toyota*&Submit=Compare

1 - 20 of 23 Posts