Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
2 things could cause it:

1) during the last oil change, oil spilled onto the cylinder head and now it's dripping onto the header. This is usually only applicable if your last oil change was less than a week ago or so.

2) Oil is leaking from your valve cover gasket and down onto your header, and burning, causing the smoke.

You can try just wiping up any oil you see around the cylinder head and see if oil comes back. If it does, you almost positively have a valve cover leak.

It's doesn't cost ANYTHING to tighten up the valve cover bolts. Don't over-tighten them, though. Use an 8mm socket and make sure they're snug. Don't he-man them on like lug-nuts. They just need to be snug, the valve cover gasket does the hard work of sealing it.

If that doesn't work and the oil re-appears on your cylinder head, replace your PCV Valve. If it's been more than 30,000 miles, the PCV Valve is probably not working 100% correctly. A bad PCV valve can cause pressure build-up inside the crankcase, causing oil to squish out wherever it can. The valve cover gasket is one easy place for oil to get past. If the engine is cool, it takes 5 minutes to change and it's less than $2 at most auto parts stores ($1.77 at advance auto parts last time I bought mine). You might just go ahead and change the PCV Valve on principle alone instead of waiting to see if tightening the valve cover bolts helped. I change mine every 2 oil changes, about every 10,000 miles.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=70

If all the above tricks fail, get a new valve cover gasket from Ford. They're not too expensive, and you replace it simply by un-doing all the valve cover bolts, removing the valve cover, peeling the gasket out of the groove, re-seating the new gasket and putting the valve cover back on.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Does it sound like a mechanical clunking? like a tractor noise? If so it's a common and harmless noise coming from the manual transmission throw-out bearing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
the clicking is your fuel injectors...dont worry about it if it's not that loud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts