Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my conti's have about 5,000-10,000 miles left on them (17,000 miles). I was thinking of buying new tires in a few months than realized that it is the end of August. By the time I will be ready to buy tires it will be the end of October or early November. I am thinking of possibly just buying some snows and than some new summer tires after the winter. Should I do that or just buy a set of Ultra High Performance All-Seasons like the Potenza 950's or Sumitomos

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If you guys get snow like you did last year, I would say no to the all season tires, they are just a compromise on all aspects. I was running Michelin Pilot Alpin's on my SVTF last year and they were great in the snow/ice and on dry roads.

If you can afford it, just get another set of rims for winter and mount the snow tires to that, than you can use those rims in the summer for autocrossing with a proper track tire, that way if they get beat up you'll still have your stock rims/tires to look good with.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
If you guys get snow like you did last year, I would say no to the all season tires, they are just a compromise on all aspects. I was running Michelin Pilot Alpin's on my SVTF last year and they were great in the snow/ice and on dry roads.

If you can afford it, just get another set of rims for winter and mount the snow tires to that, than you can use those rims in the summer for autocrossing with a proper track tire, that way if they get beat up you'll still have your stock rims/tires to look good with.
agreed 100%

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, I can buy 3 SVT wheels for $200 in the GB section, plus this wheel:

Could be a good set of snow/autoX rims.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I have the Blizzaks for my winter tires when i lived up north in NY..and they are the absolute bomb. The guy at the tire rack said they are the best. P.S. I lived in Philly for 5 years and there is no reason to get snow tires. Besides the ocassional 2" snowfall...there is no snow.
whatever, your money...your car...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Blizzaks for my winter tires when i lived up north in NY..and they are the absolute bomb. The guy at the tire rack said they are the best. P.S. I lived in Philly for 5 years and there is no reason to get snow tires. Besides the ocassional 2" snowfall...there is no snow.
whatever, your money...your car...
There is enough snow to make my commute a living hell with my ContiSports on my SVT. Any snow + summer tires = no traction at all.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
don't let anyone tell you different: the Nokian Hakkapeliita Q is the best winter tire available anywhere onthe planet. they ride well on pavement, are sturdy, have the absolute best ice/snow traction and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

EVERY SINGLE RALLYIST in my local car club (which includes quite a few current and former ProRally competitors) runs them.

i don't think you can find them online, but they have plenty of dealers.

http://www.nokiantire.com

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
don't let anyone tell you different: the Nokian Hakkapeliita Q is the best winter tire available anywhere onthe planet. http://www.nokiantire.com
I second that assertion--Q's are the best you can get

·
Registered
93 Posts
While we are on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations for some inexpensive 16" wheels (for my SVT)? I am looking for something exclusively for winter usage. Getting a tirerack set w/ mounted rubber sounds great, but the available wheels are pricey for my needs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Get the snows and the summer tires. I always end up driving in the snow even when I try to avoid it. I have Mich Artic Alpins on mine, and they work well, but I don't have a STV so the sizes are different. There are several highly rated snow tires. Michelin Artic Alpins, Nokians, Kumho Izen, and I think Dunlop (M2?) makes a good H rated one. Of course the Kumho are the less expensive ones.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've seen stock 16's go for as low as $125 for a set of 4. It shouldn't be difficult to get them under $200.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While we are on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations for some inexpensive 16" wheels (for my SVT)? I am looking for something exclusively for winter usage. Getting a tirerack set w/ mounted rubber sounds great, but the available wheels are pricey for my needs.

Thanks.
search ebay,theres a couple dealers selling 16" couger wheels with brand new firestone tires for less then $500

·
Registered
142 Posts
Suggestion, When getting snow tires, go a size narrower.
Look at a Rally car.

It helps to get you down through slush to the pavement. This is more for the east coast folks that live in the salt belt. Colorado and Wyoming it's 50/50

5 NH winters (3 with the focus), and I was convinced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts