Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you're one of the only few that actually has a true beast... How much am I looking to blow on this? I figure I can build my own 302 with stuff I want and it'll be cheaper... but I dunnow.... So I ask you this question..

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
A lot of money! I heard its in the neiborhood of 15k+. If it were me i would import a turbo cosworth motor and go from there! That would be trick!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I dun wanna turbo.. I want Coffee Can Cylinders pulsing underneath the hood... I want instant gratification.. i.e. TORQUE.. And gobs of it... I want to say.. oh damn I can't u-turn here so I'll just stab the throttle and be pointed to where I wanna go... See?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Well than you need a turbo than if you want all that power and TQ other than the coffee can type Cyl you can have that

Now what would look better a focus with a v8 out running the v8`s. Or a focus with a 4Cyl out running most everything there even the v8 focus

Tom

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
I looked into it. You can do it for less than $9g's. Or you can run well over $16g's, depending on what route you go.
I had planned on doing as much of of the swap as I could. That included buying a used Mustang(fairly cheap if you look around), ripping out the drive train, sending the trans and rear end off to be refurb'd, stripping the motor down, and building it myself. My original plan was to build a mild street motor. There are enough companies that sell aftermarket small block Ford parts, that finding quality parts, at a good price wouldn't be very hard. Also, by doing some limited questioning, I found quite a few Mustang guys that would be more than willing to help on the engine build.
bigblue(If I am not mistaken), went with all new components. Which is why the cost of his swap was as high as it was.
I figured a big part of the price, was just buying the conversion pieces themselves. I think I figured around $4-5g's on those alone. Then I figured a good chunk would go to the trans/rear ends, and the rest to the motor.
The only thing I was really worried about, was the wiring. That was the only thing I would not feel comfortable trying to handle myself.

I backed off of this project, because i will be moving back to California in the next year. And I can't afford to spend that kind of cash on my car, when I am going to move four states, and have to re-establish my life again.

If you want, I have a list of what I figured I needed, from Kugel Kustoms. I can PM it to you, when I find the list.

Al

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Kugel's Red V-8 Focus was pretty darn SWEET!!!
Tom, are you thinking about a RWD set-up w/ Turbo?
Sort of a SUPER Phase-X???

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 1turbofocus:
Well than you need a turbo than if you want all that power and TQ other than the coffee can type Cyl you can have that

Now what would look better a focus with a v8 out running the v8`s. Or a focus with a 4Cyl out running most everything there even the v8 focus

Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't wanna come off like a naysayer and some punk ass drooling kid but FWD has traction problems.. you should know that of all people.. I don't mean to lecture or belittle anyone but point blank, physics being the law here, RWD cars will transfer weight, plant the rear tires and scoot... that and I don't wanna turbo... I want a gas sucking dinosaur... Big engine, little car.. Musclecars proved this, just add technology and have a reeeeally small car with big fat tires... And you can imagine the chaos you'd be unleashing on the track (or street for you shady minded people)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Physics also says it's easier to pull than push

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ohhhh good point!

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
this may be so my friend, but if the pusher can get traction and the puller can't...it doesn't matter how much easier it would be for the puller to pull. And that's the issue at hand.

304 Posts
Originally posted by blueovalbaboon:
this may be so my friend, but if the pusher can get traction and the puller can't...it doesn't matter how much easier it would be for the puller to pull. And that's the issue at hand.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">this is true, true...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
turbo 2.0 zetec vs a 302 v8? um...
i dunno who would win 302 after a while bc hes got higher top end but i dunno so who would win guys? v8 or turbo'd 4

all i kno is a 351 twin turbo would be BOSS in a focus HAHAHA 1200* hp
Oh MANNNNNNN

[ 03-24-2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Revo ]

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Originally posted by 1turbofocus:

Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Tom,

Just wondering how many 10 sec. 1/4 miles you've knocked off with that turbo Focus yet?

A *tuned* lightweight RWD Focus will eat that car of yours for breakfast and you know it.
While a FWR is tryin' to hook up, the RWD will be gone. If this wasn't true, you wouldn't see this mod popin' up to get decent numbers out of the Focus

http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=016513

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Originally posted by Revo:
turbo 2.0 zetec vs a 302 v8? um...
i dunno who would win 302 after a while bc hes got higher top end but i dunno so who would win guys? v8 or turbo'd 4

all i kno is a 351 twin turbo would be BOSS in a focus HAHAHA 1200* hp
Oh MANNNNNNN
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A built 2.3 in RWD will put down some good QM times, but a 351 twin turbo would be much cooler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts