Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO... How\'s that Cosworth Performance workin???

Was it worth it..?
How loud are your stage kits? Fast?

PICS......VIDS......

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Re: SO... How\'s that Cosworth Performance workin???

Was it worth it..?

PICS......VIDS......
No one with stage 2 has posted any 1/4 mile times yet.

Why not?

·
Registered
597 Posts

Why not?
My guess is that the people running the cosworth stuff aren't really interested in 1/4 mile times.

it seems to be more of a fastroad/open track set up.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts

It seems like there's only a small handfull of people who have even gone to stg 2 in the first place, and a couple of them sound like it was on sponsorship, so they might have something prohibitive in a contract. The few others might have just not gotten around to it yet. It could be a while.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Was it worth it..?

PICS......VIDS......
I'm very happy with my setup because it pulls like crazy. Stage two will be loud, but if you have the FS stealth and an extra resonator, you'll be just fine.

As far as 1/4 mile, there isn't a track around San Diego for me to play on. But I won't be taking her on the track until I'm finish with the tranny

Next time on the Dyno at FocusSport, I will have it on video. You can go here to see my pics:

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showf...part=1&vc=1

·
Registered
5,446 Posts

Why not?
My guess is that the people running the cosworth stuff aren't really interested in 1/4 mile times.

it seems to be more of a fastroad/open track set up.
what he said. the cossie stuff is NOT a drag setup.

·
EAT MORE CORN DAMNIT!!!!
3,070 Posts

I go fast now.... I am still waiting on my cams.....

With Stg II (minus cams) I ran a 15.7 (yes, I know) however, this was in a full interior ST. I am sure if I gutted it (spare, seats, etc.), learned to drive better, and hurried up and got my cams in I could run much better times....

I will say this..... Very Loud.... Very Fun.... 50mph cruising has a much greater powerband now.....

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

With Stg II (minus cams) I ran a 15.7 (yes, I know) however, this was in a full interior ST. I am sure if I gutted it (spare, seats, etc.), learned to drive better, and hurried up and got my cams in I could run much better times....

I will say this..... Very Loud.... Very Fun.... 50mph cruising has a much greater powerband now.....
A 15.7 @ what MPH?

The MPH will tell a much bigger story then the times, since it's not completely relying on the driver, it more or less tells how quick the car should be.

- Drew

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts

1/4 mi? How boring.

This is where it's at:

I love my CosWagon. Nothing beats taking the twisties in Big Sur at high rpms and still having power to play with. It never complains. Having 100 octane in it at Buttonwillow was even more fun (yes, it has dynamic knock control).

I can't wait till it's blessed with Level 3.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

I did 15.9 @ 88 mph in my zts Bone stock.

With cai and catback only, on a cool day i got a 15.21 @91.

But strange enough with a header and a few other mods i was doing 15.3 @ 93 mph.

My 60 ft times keep getting worse. I need to get back to the track with my air bags and stickier tires and see some 14 second times.

·
EAT MORE CORN DAMNIT!!!!
3,070 Posts

The night I ran it was very hot and humid....

15.708 @ 90.53

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

1/4 mi? How boring.

This is where it's at:

I love my CosWagon. Nothing beats taking the twisties in Big Sur at high rpms and still having power to play with. It never complains. Having 100 octane in it at Buttonwillow was even more fun (yes, it has dynamic knock control).

I can't wait till it's blessed with Level 3.
not everyone has a road track near them though kris.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Road Racing is fine on a amature level, waste of brake pads and tires if you ask me and no money to be made. But I guess that isn't the point.

The reason why 1/4 is important in automoblies because it is a measure of how powerful a car is.

This NON sense about Foci not being suited for drag racing and the parts available for them are better used on a road course, is just that utter non-sense.

Foci Road Racers -

How many of you are outlapping the SR20.org guys or the Honda-tech.com crowd? I'd say NONE of you, so even on the road course your not much competition for anybody but yourselves.

If you really got what it takes, challenge those guys.

Just to let you know, you would prolly stand a better chance at the SR20 crowd since alot of them have overpowered turbo Sentras... The Honda-Tech crowd would clean house as most of the serious runners also run Honda Challenge on the side.

Alot more Foci would be faster if they took it seriously, many don't.

15.708 @ 90.53

Tells me your 60ft times are horrible.

Buy some 15" stockers and BFG drag radials. Pop for a Torsen LSD while your at it, it would help your car around the twisties as well.

The power is in Stage 2 to run 14's in an ST and mid to low 14's in a ZX3 2.3L

For the investment and considering how SLOW they are stock, that's pretty good.

Gringo - Bring it up California Speedway when you get your tranny fixed. It should run 14's if you know how to launch your car. I'd let you borrow my drag radials but Foci aren't 5x100...

Don't even attempt to bite my head off, I had an '04 2.3L ZX3 5spd for a min and I have pretty much made up my mind to buy another Focus. I even found a very nice rebuildable '04 Duratec ZX3 for $1700.

But I'm leaning torwards an ST.

I won't be buying anything until later this year but I'm 90% sure I'll get another Focus.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

If I wanted to go fast in a straight line, I would've bought a turbo Neon.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts

How many of you are outlapping the SR20.org guys or the Honda-tech.com crowd? I'd say NONE of you, so even on the road course your not much competition for anybody but yourselves.
And going 14 seconds in the 1/4 mile compares to road racing how? If you can say you're in the 12s, then I'd be impressed. If I wanted to drag race I'd get a Z28 or a Mustang. (and even then, I doubt I'd drag race)

Road racing, for me, isn't about 'winning' or showing off to the 'other' guys. Yet. Right not it's a matter of more seat time and money. But it sure is fun!

I know the potential of these cars, with experience (ie: seat time). I bet a driver like Allan (slidemaster) or Craig (Sensei) could stick it to cars that are extensively modified in an SVT Focus with some bolt ons, R compounds, and a good suspension. Shoot, Dean Martin of Ford spanked all kinds of cars in a STOCK SVTF (stock Contis even). On my second day of road racing, ever, out at Buttonwillow, I was too fast for the 'beginner' group, and halfway through the intermediate group.

I'm sure you'll eventually get your car set up to scream on the 1/4 mile, and scare some other imports out there.

Go drag race all you want, if that's what you want to do.

I'll continue to go out on the road courses and 'compete against myself', and be happy as a schoolgirl. Nothing comes close to a 20/30 minute session that requires you to be completely aware of not only yourself, but your vehicle as well. Nirvana.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

Well i bought the zts because i work for ford, and with all discounts and incentives I paid $8700.00 brand new out the door for a car with a sticker price of 17,500.

With all i have spent on it so far with wheels and tires, perfornmance parts, interior, audio, and now that i am almost done harvesting parts for the turbo build, i'd say that i have about 14,000 invested with the cost of the car included.

Even if i spend another 2k - 3k on brake upgrades and engine + trans parts i'll still be under sticker price for the car with the total spent.

And I know with 16,000 total investement i'll have a car that is faster than a 20,000+ neon srt4.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts

Road Racing is fine on a amature level, waste of brake pads and tires if you ask me and no money to be made. But I guess that isn't the point.

The reason why 1/4 is important in automoblies because it is a measure of how powerful a car is.

This NON sense about Foci not being suited for drag racing and the parts available for them are better used on a road course, is just that utter non-sense.

Foci Road Racers -

If you really got what it takes, challenge those guys.

Just to let you know, you would prolly stand a better chance at the SR20 crowd since alot of them have overpowered turbo Sentras... The Honda-Tech crowd would clean house as most of the serious runners also run Honda Challenge on the side.

Alot more Foci would be faster if they took it seriously, many don't.

15.708 @ 90.53

Tells me your 60ft times are horrible.

Buy some 15" stockers and BFG drag radials. Pop for a Torsen LSD while your at it, it would help your car around the twisties as well.

The power is in Stage 2 to run 14's in an ST and mid to low 14's in a ZX3 2.3L

For the investment and considering how SLOW they are stock, that's pretty good.

Gringo - Bring it up California Speedway when you get your tranny fixed. It should run 14's if you know how to launch your car. I'd let you borrow my drag radials but Foci aren't 5x100...

Don't even attempt to bite my head off, I had an '04 2.3L ZX3 5spd for a min and I have pretty much made up my mind to buy another Focus. I even found a very nice rebuildable '04 Duratec ZX3 for $1700.

But I'm leaning torwards an ST.

I won't be buying anything until later this year but I'm 90% sure I'll get another Focus.
You know, because last time I checked, An SVT tranny's gearing LOVES drag racing compared to road racing....

Yeah, we race for nothing but fun and enjoyment. Sure, there are a lot of honda and SR20 guys that would clean us up, but that is not why we go out and race on the track. We go out there to have fun, and to test ourselves and our cars. We aren't saying that the focus is gods gift to road racing. What crawled up your butt?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Well i bought the zts because i work for ford, and with all discounts and incentives I paid $8700.00 brand new out the door for a car with a sticker price of 17,500.

With all i have spent on it so far with wheels and tires, perfornmance parts, interior, audio, and now that i am almost done harvesting parts for the turbo build, i'd say that i have about 14,000 invested with the cost of the car included.

Even if i spend another 2k - 3k on brake upgrades and engine + trans parts i'll still be under sticker price for the car with the total spent.

And I know with 16,000 total investement i'll have a car that is faster than a 20,000+ neon srt4.
Keep dreaming buddy... You will not still beat an SRT-4 remember I own one as well. $19,000 and $6 in parts my car ran a [email protected] on stock tires. Now I have $1000 invested and can run mid 12's at 110+.

With the same parts as you I ran a [email protected] in my Duratec. You are going to need another 50hp to be even with a SRT. Look at my current timeslip with close to 250whp its till only [email protected] on Azenis tires. I got a 13.9 in my SRT bone stock.

But I will say you are on the right track. You would need stage III cams, COssie mani, clutch flywheel, gears, diff and slicks to beat most SRT's no one leaves them stock. Thats another $2500 to your total not counting the cams cause I think you already have some.

My preference 1/4 mile. I dont like rocking side to side in AutoX or I would drive a boat.

Any Cossie parts owners Aug 13 California Dragway at Fontana. DOnt be scarrrrred

1 - 20 of 63 Posts