Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I\'m trading in my 2001 Cobra for...

...call me crazy but another Focus. I've decided to go crazy with this whole auto-x thing and get what I hope to be a serious contender in H-stock. A 2003 5-speed PZEV ZX3 with absolutely no options. That's right not even A/C. The SVT Focus has been fun to auto-x but I think at a national level it won't ever be a contender. Don't get me wrong. I need quite a bit of seat time before I will be anywhere near a national level but I want a car that has the potential. Besides which, flame me if you will, but although the Cobra is a hell of a rush in a straight line it just doesn't do it for me in the twisty's and I have no real desire to bring it out to the Auto-x. Could be the '78 Fairmont chassis underneath it.

My corral will now include

2003 PZEV ZX3
2002 SVT Focus
1985 Mustang SVO

Thats two ZX3's and two 2.3's..

I am going to do this but wanted to know what you guys' opinions on this might me.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Re: So I\'m trading in my 2001 Cobra for...

If you do this I'll be watching very close! How about a webpage with picks, dynos, mods, numbers, etc.?!!!!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

...and videos too!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by Brandon - TX:
Couldn't u just dump a whole lot of $$ into the Cobra's suspension and compete with that?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not in any sort of class where it would be competitive. Built to the rules in F-Stock it will regularly get beat by the SS. Look at the national results for F-Stock. Building beyond F-Stock would cost a lot more money than I have and I still don't know that it would ever be competitive. Rather than band aid an super flexible chassis I am going to start with a much more competant one.

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts

Yeah Rob

What color are you thinkin of gettin???

·
Registered
887 Posts

I think you are gonna have a whole lotta fun with the new Focus. Keep us posted.

I had a modified 96 Mustang GT I sold to get the SVTF and I like driving it a whole lot better.

Much more nimble and precise.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by robbyracer:
Yeah Rob

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was going to go with Twilight Blue but since I made the big decision to go no A/C I think I've settled on Silver.

·
Registered
142 Posts

If you are serious about chassis stiffness, have you considered TIG'ing the body? It usually isn't mentioned in the modification rules, and will give you significant gains in torsional stiffness.

Downside? Lots of time to strip the car and put it back together. Some $$$ to repaint the body after you weld.

"the foundation is everything"
~Paris

·
Registered
694 Posts

Originally posted by zetec2000:
If you are serious about chassis stiffness, have you considered TIG'ing the body? It usually isn't mentioned in the modification rules, and will give you significant gains in torsional stiffness.

Downside? Lots of time to strip the car and put it back together. Some $$$ to repaint the body after you weld.

"the foundation is everything"
~Paris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And absolutely not legal in stock classes. Very cool, but very illegal. Sorry. Remember the mantra associated with SCCA rules:
-If it doesn't say you can do it, you can't.-

Have fun with the new car though, I think it will be a blast and should be quicker than our more mundane ztec foci.
You're a trendsetter man.

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts

Originally posted by Blue-73:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by robbyracer:
Yeah Rob

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was going to go with Twilight Blue but since I made the big decision to go no A/C I think I've settled on Silver.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh fine, I guess I'll be the only member of Team Highliter now

·
Registered
177 Posts

Stupid question here......but why would a 2.3 Focus be a contender but the SVT Focus not be. I know the SVT/FOCUS isn't "the car to have" on a national level but what does the PZEV Focus have other than a 2.3 that the SVT doesn't have? I may buy my wife a new car, the Expedition uses to much gas, and would consider a 2.3 athough I may get her the SW.

[ 05-01-2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: TampaSVTF ]

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Not a stupid question at all. The reason the PZEV will be a ntional contender is because at least for now it is still in H-Stock which is a lower class than G-Stock that the SVT is in. At the same time with quite a bit less weight a stripped down PZEV might take a SVT on the course if they were both prepped to stock class rules.

·
Registered
355 Posts

what cars do u have now, and what will u have when ur done, i was alittle confused with the first post i know i am retarded

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Originally posted by 03zx3:
what cars do u have now, and what will u have when ur done, i was alittle confused with the first post i know i am retarded
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He currently has:
1985 Mustang SVO
2001 Mustang SVT Cobra
2002 SVT Focus

After the purchase he will have:
1985 Mustang SVO
2002 SVT Focus
2003 Focus ZX3 PZEV 2.3L, zero options.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Congrats! I think Lorin may be just as excited as you are.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Originally posted by Qbert:
I think Lorin may be just as excited as you are.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damn skippy!

·
Registered
481 Posts

why not get an integra R instead of another focus? or a WRX? or an ACR neon? are those not really competitive cars in their stock classes also? what about an RX-7? maybe i'm biased by my experiences with ford's build quality.. but i don't think i'd be able to stomach another brand new ford product.. plus if they move it from H stock you might be in big trouble.

·
Registered
170 Posts

I really see where you are coming from, and I dont know the retail on those cobras, but couldnt you sell your cobra for more than a 2.3 focus would cost?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yes the Cobra is worth more than the new Focus but I am incredibly upside down on the Cobra so an outright sale of the CObra isn't going to give me money for the Focus. In fact it would probably give me less money than what I owe on the Cobra.

Anybody want to buy a 2001 Cobra? Its only got 21000 miles on it?
j/k

1 - 20 of 21 Posts