Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about done with my suspension, I'm guessing I could touch the engine a little more. I'm planning to spend a little of my rebate, but would like to keep it under 400. So, I'm tossing between a Bosal exhaust or a Volant intake (with the extra scoop, if that ever comes availible).

Now, I'm planning to stay with the stock header, cat, and most likely the flex-pipe too. I'm guessing with those restrictions in place, I shouldn't expect to see too much of an increase in power. But I'm guessing either way, the gains would be minimal, and I wouldn't notice it much on the street or the autox track. There should be any problems with the OEM hardware up front, right?

My other thing that I'm weary on is the tip/muffler. It seems a little too... garish... for me. Maybe is that because of the way it sits? (like in the pictures here?) Could it be pulled up higher, so the tip fits more in the stock bumper cutout?

And I'm still a little worried on the sound. I like it quiet. I know its one of the quieter ones on the market, but its been a while since I heard one in person, and that was only at an idle. I'd like to hear one under a load. (Trying to find people near me with one)

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on what to do. Thanks.

(and did you know? There's tons of topics for Bosal under the search. Its over-whelming!
)

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Dood! Wheres my car?!

This pic here shows one of your options to
the low hang issue:

I used a hose clamp, but I'm going to replace that with 2 big zip ties though.
The metal hose clamp vibrates

I think I'm going to let it hang a little lower this time too.
You can always bring it back up later if you want.
Over all, I'd say go for it.

I love my Bosal, and I get compliments on it
(mainly other Jetters) all the time.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Oh, and it won't go up much higher than what you see there. Not without some modifications to
the underside of your car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the bosal it does sit low but not enough to scrape over a speed bump. Im in durham n.c but I go to all the import drags at VMP if you would like to hear it with all stock except the cat back.

jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put my Bosal on last month. The canister look takes a little to get used to, as well it sitting a little low. However, the price was right ($319) for the all stainless system that won't become a nightmare when I buy my high flow cat. The real clincher, though, is that beautiful sound coming from the back of my car when I give it gas. Everytime I hear it, I realize that I made the right decision.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Ditto the Above.
As far as which to do first, I Dunno..
I did my Intake first, and DID notice the Increase.
The Exhaust and Intake Complement each other, so definitely plan on BOTH eventually.
IMO, You've picked the VERY BEST Exhaust, AND Probably the Intake I'd pick if I had to do it all again.
I LOVE my k&n FIPK, but w/ the added option of that scoop, the Volant is definitely now top-dog.
Whatever you do, do the Flex-Pipe at the same time that you do the catback. It DOES help, even w/ the rest of the forward section in place. of course it's MORE Critical when you go w/ Header/etc, but I'd Still recommend doing it w/ the catback.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Egz, if you don't have a header or a free flow cat(sore subject) our exhaust system is very quiet with a nice little rumble when you get on it. Believe me if the system was loud we would not have released it. Even if you decide to go with a free flow cat or header later on you can always put in our bolt on silencer. There also on sale this month.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well and exhaust will never give the gains of an intake, with the $400 you should throw on the AEM CAI, and an underdrive pulley. I also hated my bosal, both of them. Its a loud poor fitting exhuast but does free up some power. Hey 1 out of 3 is kinda bad. I'd recommend the apexi, hks, or focussport to get all 3.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Originally posted by BANDIT:
Egz, if you don't have a header or a free flow cat(sore subject) our exhaust system is very quiet with a nice little rumble when you get on it. Believe me if the system was loud we would not have released it. Even if you decide to go with a free flow cat or header later on you can always put in our bolt on silencer. There also on sale this month.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Egz, get it! You've seen it on my car at FX02.. I love the sound and the SS finish. It's well worth. Plus the HP gains are great too.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Smith:
Well and exhaust will never give the gains of an intake, with the $400 you should throw on the AEM CAI, and an underdrive pulley. I also hated my bosal, both of them. Its a loud poor fitting exhuast but does free up some power. Hey 1 out of 3 is kinda bad. I'd recommend the apexi, hks, or focussport to get all 3.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Remind me not to smoke whatever you've been smoking, please.

The Fit and Finish on mine is IMPECCABLE. Loud? Only if you didn't tighten the joints and have a nice fat leak.
Also, Egz was asking about VOLANT.
It's fine if You like AEM, but the Volant is Superior IMO, and he's already made that decision.
Egz only asked, "Which First?"

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
Ditto the Above.
As far as which to do first, I Dunno..
I did my Intake first, and DID notice the Increase.
The Exhaust and Intake Complement each other, so definitely plan on BOTH eventually.
IMO, You've picked the VERY BEST Exhaust, AND Probably the Intake I'd pick if I had to do it all again.
I LOVE my k&n FIPK, but w/ the added option of that scoop, the Volant is definitely now top-dog.
Whatever you do, do the Flex-Pipe at the same time that you do the catback. It DOES help, even w/ the rest of the forward section in place. of course it's MORE Critical when you go w/ Header/etc, but I'd Still recommend doing it w/ the catback.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I totally agree with MichaelXI Bosal system is great. If I'm not mistaken the new systems will have the rear fit issue fixed. My car gained a solid 7hp at the wheels. This was measured on Bosal's dyno in Ann Arbor, MI. The only issue I have is the last muffler is a lil heavy and swings quite a bit. I always get asked if my rear muffler is hung at all cuz it sways so bad over bumps. I think it even impacted the spare tire well cuz there's a huge dent on the one side. As for the flexpipe I noticed lil or no increase. Again the dyno charts showed my car lost about .5-1.5 hp from about 4000 rpm to about 5500 rpm. If you want to I can dig up the charts scan them, and email them to anyone interested.
As for the exhaust 'rumble' I beg to differ. The Bosal system does sound real nice and is relatively quiet but it by no means 'rumbles' IMO.
V8s rumble 4s don't rumble they scream.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Originally posted by Egz:
So, my only worry right now with the Bosal is with the canister. Bandit, is there a way to bring it up closer to the body? Like mentioned before, probably not.

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That + whats the best way to make it stop shaking all over the place. Mine moves ALOT and i know this is going to cause a problem with the bodykit in the spring..

I know some of you have clamped it down.. Does that restrict its movement?

·
Registered
744 Posts
just weld the canister to the frame
when I had my ghetto-fied canister APC setup (don't mock me... every focus owner I know has complimented me on it ) I used 2 of the REALLY big zip ties... it worked for me... but then again since it's not the same thing and could possibly be weighted different, my solution probably wouldn't help

·
Registered
142 Posts
Egz,

I have both the Bosal and the Volant and I'm happy with both. I think you will get equal gains out of both. I went with the exhaust first simply for the new sound. The cannister takes alittle getting used to, but is also probably why it is quieter thean most. I do plan on getting the silencer as well one of these days. I hope to get a race header as well.

Eric

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Andy Smith:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Remind me not to smoke whatever you've been smoking, please.

The Fit and Finish on mine is IMPECCABLE. Loud? Only if you didn't tighten the joints and have a nice fat leak.
It's fine if You like AEM, but the Volant is Superior IMO, and he's already made that decision.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Install that one and the apexi and tell me which on fits the car. Just looking at a picture of the apexi and bosal one hangs way out of the bumper and has a rediculous looking can on the end. The other has a nice tip that fits perfectly into the cutout on the bumper. As for install times, the apexi too about half the time. I perfer a nice subtle look and subtle sound, i'm not a ricer that demands attention. The bosal was just too "look at me" for my tastes, but there are people here that think the avenger body kits look good, so we all have differing opinions i guess.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Loud? Only if you didn't tighten the joints and have a nice fat leak.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh and yes i had two bosals, one that leaked at the second joint, and one that didn't. The second had no leaks anywhere. I've installed more exhausts then you've probably ever seen so I think I know how to do it. Fine the volant is great, i've never owned it, I just went for the proven performance leader. I find it's always the safest way to go. If he's decided on that short ram intake, then that's fine I just thought I'd present a long tube option, that maybe he hasnt heard much about (or had some questions about).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Well i can say first hand my bosal was on in 20 mins FLAT.

No fitment issues.. No problems..

Wierd man. Somethings just not right with that story. I cant believe you got 2 sets there were warped or demented or something..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
Well i can say first hand my bosal was on in 20 mins FLAT.

No fitment issues.. No problems..

Wierd man. Somethings just not right with that story. I cant believe you got 2 sets there were warped or demented or something..

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well then if they make 2 bad exhausts then they might not be that great ehh? I personally think the second one was perfectly fine, but whatever. The last joint on the bosal just kinda sucks to work on, that's what takes the most time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
[ 02-22-2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: TigreTek ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts