Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I got bored and decided to hack off the rear-most muffler on my car before headng off to a party at the beach (I also learned a valuable lesson about safety equipment when I caught shrapnel in the throat from a disintegrating metal-cutting blade while I was cutting metal; how odd...)...
All I can say is 'wow, what a difference' ...I dunno if I gained any power, and I havent driven enough to note fuel mileage...But I can actually hear my exhaust now...If you use your imagination, it sounds a wee bit ricey, but I think it actually sounds pretty good, and it 'pops' on down-shifting/decellerating like my truck (although not as deep)
The one thing I noticed, though, is how heavy that thing was...It weighs as much as my complete new exhaust system (muffler and piping) that I am going to be putting on...
I think about 80+% of the exhaust sound-control is from the final muffler...
I just thought Id share my current exploits since no one else seems to be willing to hack apart a three month old car...That, and Im kinda proud/happy it doesnt sound like crap...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Tomorrow I begin the undertaking of installing my Apex'i on my PZEV. We'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
you are the man.

You inspire all of us.

To Duratec and Beyond.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just filled up the tank with gas...And washed the side of my car at the same time...
...Yes, there was a gas mileage increase...Maybe 1-1.5mpg (I did a quick calc in my head, so I dont know the exact number) ...I was expecting the car to take more gas, so I kept pumping it, then it shot out all over...It was kind of a good/bad situation...Good cos my gas mileage appears to have increased, and bad cos now I smell like gasoline...
I know people are going to say stuff like 'you cant go by one tank of gas' ...And normally I dont...Im just using it as reference, since I used the exact same gas pump I always use when fueling my car, and up to cutting off the muffler my mileage had always been consistent within a few tenths...So, I can say with fair certainty that my gas mileage increased...Even though I spent much time in the high rpm range listening to my less-restricted PZEV 'breathing'...
One could also surmise from the gas mileage increase that my engine is now running more efficiently, and thusly is making more power (though seat of the pants dyno testing is inconsistent) ...It also confirms my theory that the stock exhaust is higly restrictive...
Im still antsy to get my new exhaust put on, though...I just wish the weather and my work schedule would cooperate...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Thanks for cutting this piece off without knowing what it would sound like. I have been wanting to but was afraid it might make the exhaust unbarable. I may just do this now while I wait to save up the money for koni9s. Not being able to hear the car is a real bummer.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh...Youre welcome...I was worried at first too, but I just got to the point that I didnt care...Its definately not unbearable...Its still quiet, but you will be able to at least hear it now...

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
Has anybody had one of those "stealth" mufflers from Focus Sport? I can't stand a quiet car like my ZX3 but I don't like the sound of a loud 4 cylinder either.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i have one for my zetec, and love it. i dont know if you can compare it to your engine though. however, it is very quiet. louder than stock, you can hear it when you start and stuff, but still very quiet. perfectly set up for when i eventually get head.....ers

·
Registered
334 Posts
i rode in blue-72's PZEV today, it sounded a bit less puny than mine. but i like it-- question about this.. my dad's a construction worker, so i have easy access to this reciprocating saw that was mentioned at the top of the post. suppose i wanted to slap on a nice chrome tip, would the indicated possibility of better milege be availible? or should i just forget about the tip and just saw the thing off? and would the soldering of the chrome tip be easy? difficult? PM me if you live in bay area, cali. if you want to talk about this on the phone or in person. thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Heh, so am I
It'll be a nice little hax0r till I can get a full cat back or pay for a nice custom exhaust. Seeing as though I am in california thought I have even more limited choices. I would lean towards a custom exhaust, 2.5" pipe, dynomax muffler etc. Probably get a 4-1 race header because that is all that is out right now. If I get a race header that would eliminate the cat right?

Even though I dont have to do emissions for like 5 years I still would sooner or later. So thats even more study to see what would work best, give best gains/sound yet still pass.

btw, that rear most box is just one last resonator right? What effect does it have on emissions? Is it just a flow restrictor/sound deadener? Peace

·
Registered
133 Posts
i went to a muffler shop today and had the resonator removed and a new pipe installed for 40 bucks. i was a little nervous at first, but now i'm like awesome. i already have a fc intake and the new exhaust tone compliments the intake tone perfectly. it is hard now to pick out each sound. except at low rpms u can notice the exhaust if you're listening for it w/ the window down. if u r lookin for a cheap exhaust improvement this is the best option, especially if u don't want a loud exhaust. plus that resonator weighs like 30 lbs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sweet! Yeah next paycheck Im most likely doin it.

It hasnt been long but have you noticed any gains at any RPM range?

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
I would lean towards a custom exhaust, 2.5" pipe,
so for a 2.3 PZEV a 2.5 in pipe is better than 2.25 pipe that is recomended for a N/A Zetec?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2.5" is actually too big on a stock engine...The stock pipe gets no bigger than 2.25" ...If you were to go bigger, it would be pointless...Velocity would drop at the junction where the diameter increases, and power would go down...The stock flex-pipe supposedly is actually less than 2" inside!! ...But Ive yet to verify/rectify this...
So, to summarize, 2.25" is the optimum size for an after-cat exhaust...Be it custom, or otherwise...Anything bigger would just be more weight, and a waste of money...

·
Registered
204 Posts
The flex pipe is relatively easy to get to and take off. You will see just how narrow the flex pipe section is once you get it off the car.

Weekend project?

Nikolas

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The flex pipe is relatively easy to get to and take off. You will see just how narrow the flex pipe section is once you get it off the car.

Weekend project?

Nikolas
Heh...I know right where it is...But gettin it off is another story...21,xxx miles has a way of rusting bolts and such, when they are driven in NY...I tried taking it off before when I did my exhaust, even soaked them in penetrating oil...But since theres no room to get my imapct wrench in there...They are staying put for a while...

Jeremy

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have 2.5 from my under cat to my Sebring muffler and 2.25 from my muffler to the tip over the axle and my car pulls a lot harder on the freeway now 50-85 very noticable 5hp throughout entire range 6.8 peak.

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Just wondering since your posting about taking off the resonator back in November, how is the sound holding up & if you have seen any improvements in mileage/power? Please give us an update.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did that mod in october, and till now is doing well. The sound was throaty w/ a nice mellow tone. However, about a month ago I installed a FC header, now my car is loud and raspy, kinda like a rally car. Now I'm just waiting for Marcy to come out w/ their exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts