1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Don't flame, I did a search!

I just picked up a brand new set of Nexxen 3000 215 45 17 tires. I'm
running 17" Fast wheels rims and am having a real tough time with the Passenger side rear tire rubbing on the inside of the fender. I screwed up by buying tires too wide for my application. Is there a way that I can fix this? I really would like to avoid having to buy more new tires, and or destroying my car.

It's not the rubbing that bothers me so much, it's the wife and her comments.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
stock springs?? if not how much drop?

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Is there a way that I can fix this?
Short of rolling the fenders, there's not much you can do other than raising the ride height and/or swapping tires and/or wheels for some thing more like a 45mm offset...

In other words, not much w/o schpending some more dough.

·
Banned
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
40mm offset

And rolling the fenders is a real pain from what I've read correct?

It's a touchy and difficult process. I guess I'm skrewed huh?
Anyone want to buy some tires?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought it was 40mm. That just shows you there has to be research before buying setups like that. Ditch the tires and wheels and get a better setup.Rubbing like that can end up costing you your life.

·
Banned
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it was 40mm. That just shows you there has to be research before buying setups like that. Ditch the tires and wheels and get a better setup.Rubbing like that can end up costing you your life.

I came on here to get some help, not speak to my mother.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
A trifle touchy don't you think
Not really man, I asked a simple question, and you come on here and give me grief.

If you can't help me, move along.
Other than the "cost your life" comment (which was a stretch, but not totally inaccurate) he was dead on. There are about a billion and a half threads on here that say 40mm is too wide. If you bothered to do any research you would know that 42-45mm is the acceptable offset range.

Coupled with your oversized tires (215/45/17 are stock for SVT... NOT the standard Focus!) you are definitely going to rub. You have a few options:

1. Stiffer suspension. I saw that you had the Eibach pro kit, but I don't know if you meant springs or the full kit. A nice set of dampers will help if you're still riding on stock. Otherwise a stiffer set like the Koni, SPAX, or KYB will reduce the rubbing.

2. Properly sized tires. I don't know where people got the idea that 215/45/17 is the right size for 17" wheels on the Focus. The Focus comes stock with either 195/60/15 or 205/50/16, both of which translate into 205/45/17 or 215/40/17. 215/45/17 is slightly too large. A skinnier tire like a 205/45/17 will help, but not a lot.

3. New wheels. Hate to say it, but with a 40+ mm offset and without a stiff as a brick suspension, you're going to rub.

4. Roll the Fenders. No explanation needed, find someone who can do it and get it done.

We're not trying to bust your balls man. The guy was just pointing out what looks to be fact.

Nate

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Look toward the fender-rolling route. I think that'd be the most cost-effective solution.

I run 225s with a 35mm offset in the front with no rubbing thanks to a roller.... 40mm rear.... actually I just went back to a 40mm front for scrub radius reasons.

Rollers kick ass... take your time and use lots of heat, especially with metallic paint, which seems to be a bit more brittle.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Look toward the fender-rolling route. I think that'd be the most cost-effective solution.

I run 225s with a 35mm offset in the front with no rubbing thanks to a roller.... 40mm rear.... actually I just went back to a 40mm front for scrub radius reasons.

Rollers kick ass... take your time and use lots of heat, especially with metallic paint, which seems to be a bit more brittle.
I have to agree with Omni.

Having seen how friggin' low his car is and how wide his wheel/tire combo I will bow to his answer on this one. His sidewalls are pushed to the absolute limit and he's probably only got a finer or two of fender gap at most.

I ran 17 X 7.5" wheels with a 40mm offset and 205/45/17 tires and those bad boys rubbed bad on a hard turn. Once I installed SPAX adjustable dampers the rubbing was reduced quite a bit, but it was still there at the limit. The ride was very harsh though and definitely not something I wanted to live with on a daily driver. I just got rid of the wheels myself.

Oh the pains we go through to go fast and look cool...

Nate

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
2. Properly sized tires. I don't know where people got the idea that 215/45/17 is the right size for 17" wheels on the Focus. The Focus comes stock with either 195/60/15 or 205/50/16, both of which translate into 205/45/17 or 215/40/17. 215/45/17 is slightly too large. A skinnier tire like a 205/45/17 will help, but not a lot.
For mainstream folks, we follow what is available on the Focus models.

The Focus tire size range goes:
185/65R14 (2000 to 2004)
195/60R15
205/50R16
215/45R17

In this instance, the SVT model comes with 215/45R17. Why question what Ford puts on their vehicle, considering the SVT is lower than a non-SVT with no apparent issues?

Note also that all tire manufacturers slightly differ in their tire sizing. Although they might show "215/45R17", something miniscule like a deeper tread depth can knock a measurement like overall circumference out of whack and cause rubbing or other issues.

Of course, as with everyone realizes, altering any vehicle's suspension will change that theory. Although people can do research online, they should also consult with a reputable tire retailer for their opinions. But even then, mistakes can happen and a problem like rubbing can arise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts