Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hass autoworks has a mazda3 turbo kit running.

Jay who owns Hass is looking for volenteers. he's in
New Jersey so someone out there email him, his
addy is on the thread.

web page

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Nice.
Someone give that man a freaking call.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
My turbo project is nearing completion. I'm using a garrett t25 with a modified manually adjustable internal wastegate. It has an externally mounted 38 mm tial wastegate venting to atmosphere. The downpipe is only 2 1/4 inch but will be fine. Air induction is a 80 mm 02 mustang gt maf(draw through) and fuel is 39# cobra injectors. I'm using a small sidemount intercooler that sits where the battery used to be.

My setup will make boost off idle and i'm only planning on 5 - 7 psi on stock internals.

When i build up a short block i'm switching to a gt28 and a 3 inch downppipe and then 9 psi street and 13 track.

·
8,054 Posts
Funny how everyone is screaming for FI.......so where's the responses at????? Come on people, if you want crap done you've got to be vocal about it. We've actually got someone willing to tinker with a turbo setup besides pzev04, and no one has so much as batted an eye. This my friends, is why Powerworks isn't rushing to put out a supercharger for us. All foreplay, but no pocket diving.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Pocket diving

In all honesty i've spent only 1,200 bucks so far including the xcalibrator.

I should only have $100 or so left to spend.

The materials are inexpensive if you search.

Yes my turbo is used, but it's in great shape. No shaft play at all.

·
8,054 Posts
Yes, pocket diving. And I was actually commending your initiative. Unlike someone like you who jumped out and decided to do something for yourself, most the people here would prefer to buy something premade and ready to go, rather than piece something together. That's where the cash comes in. Everyone yells and screams about FI, but when a company tries to get a realistic feel(see: those who are actually going to pay, not those that say "I will" but don't dive into their pockets), no one steps up. I'm not dogging on your setup or how much it will cost you, in fact quite the opposite. I'm excited to see what you get done and hope it opens up more doors. But an official prototype from a company with the means of mass producing is also something we need.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Yes, pocket diving. And I was actually commending your initiative. Unlike someone like you who jumped out and decided to do something for yourself, most the people here would prefer to buy something premade and ready to go, rather than piece something together. That's where the cash comes in. Everyone yells and screams about FI, but when a company tries to get a realistic feel(see: those who are actually going to pay, not those that say "I will" but don't dive into their pockets), no one steps up. I'm not dogging on your setup or how much it will cost you, in fact quite the opposite. I'm excited to see what you get done and hope it opens up more doors. But an official prototype from a company with the means of mass producing is also something we need.
I though the comment "pocket diving" was perverted.

I'm just saying that if someone wants fi bad enough the'll do what i'm doing, and then some.

Most of us focus owners need to use our cars on a daily basis and are still making payments and are still under factory warranty.

That is why no one is jumping on this.

I have 3 cars at the moment so i can park the focus for a while and modify it.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Here is an interesting pic.

It's the engine in the mazdaspeed 6
I know we have all seen this before, but did anyone notice how small the turbo is?

The mazdaspeed 6 supposedly makes boost and power just a little off idle.

Did you notice how small the length and diameter pipe between the turbo and the intercooler is?

I'm trying to mimic this setup as best i can.

Small turbo that will spool up fast. Short small diameter piping and small intercooler.

Since I don't have the hood clearance for a top mount i chose a side mount setup.

Everyone keeps asking me if i'm going to use a hood scoop. The mazdaspeed 6 does not have a hood scoop.

Intercoolers do not need air flow to cool the air charge. It only helps efficency a little bit.

Big front mount intercoolers for cars running less than 15 psi are a waste of turbo efficency. Since I won't have the volume of all that piping and that intercooler to fill up i should be able to make great off idle boost and power with my t25. They look cool though.

I'm just throwing this out as a suggestion for anyone else who wants to build a custom turbo setup.

·
Banned
429 Posts
You know, all of you and your 2.3, you forget the little guys. If there was a SC or Tubro kit, I would dig into any pocket to get one. The only problem is I have a 2.0
Sure it would work with a little work but still.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
You know, all of you and your 2.3, you forget the little guys. If there was a SC or Tubro kit, I would dig into any pocket to get one. The only problem is I have a 2.0

-Ryan
Hey, for 2,500 i'll build you a turbo setup.

But the car will be down for at least 3 weeks.

·
Banned
429 Posts

-Ryan

lol Not a bad idea, come with a warrenty for parts and 2500 include a new turbo? Then you would have a deal

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

-Ryan

lol Not a bad idea, come with a warrenty for parts and 2500 include a new turbo? Then you would have a deal

-Ryan
New turbo and intercooler, and bov. all new custom components. 1 yr warranty on labor. Only manufactutrers warranty on parts.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Everyone keeps asking me if i'm going to use a hood scoop. The mazdaspeed 6 does not have a hood scoop.
Huh? When did they release pics of the final model? The test mule I saw pictures of certainly did have a hood scoop.

And, an air-to-air intercooler certainly does need airflow to cool the charge. Air-to-water intercoolers don't.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

-Ryan

-Ryan
New turbo and intercooler, and bov. all new custom components. 1 yr warranty on labor. Only manufactutrers warranty on parts.
Serious?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Huh? When did they release pics of the final model? The test mule I saw pictures of certainly did have a hood scoop.

And, an air-to-air intercooler certainly does need airflow to cool the charge. Air-to-water intercoolers don't.
An air to air intercooler needs airflow to increase efficency which at 5 psi i won't waste my time worrying about. The intercooler and will let some of the heat dissipate on it's own. Just by being there it will cool the air charge.

I've never seen a scoop on any concept model of the mazdaspeed 6. And that is a picture of the production model due to be released soon.

I was planning on building a duct from under the bumper to feed air through the intercooler from the underside. But who knows.

·
Registered
221 Posts
there are some test pics of the speed3 around with a sheetmetal fabbed scoop on it, but speed6 does not have a scoop. one other thing to keep in mind for that engine, is much of the low end power can be attributed by the Direct Injection setup it has which keeps a super flat TQ curve across the entire band.

It's hard to imaging a turbo kit for the Duratec ever in the 2-3k range if there's any hope it is a true bolt on with everything. there are a couple honda kits in that range, but still aren't the greatest kits. Though i know the cost is pretty high for the newer kits, 4k doesn't seem to bad for the potential it provides.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
my guess would be about 210 - 220 @ 5 psi. But we shall see.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I'd love to see it... but I don't have the $$$, also the guy is on the other side of the USA... :S

1 - 20 of 26 Posts