Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am(well my dad is) breaking my new built engine in right now.. I have toms big kit on there too.. He says that there is some smoke coming out the back and is not sure if it is the turbo or maybe the rings haven't seated yet.. The motor now has like 250-300 miles on it.. He is staying out of the boost though and it is tuned.. I know that the turbo I bought was used and I am trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.. I really wish I just would have brought it down here with me but then I wouldn't be able to get that mcnews tune.. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.. I wish I could fix this myself but the car is in Pa and I am in FL.. thanx
jake

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I am(well my dad is) breaking my new built engine in right now.. I have toms big kit on there too.. He says that there is some smoke coming out the back and is not sure if it is the turbo or maybe the rings haven't seated yet.. The motor now has like 250-300 miles on it.. He is staying out of the boost though and it is tuned.. I know that the turbo I bought was used and I am trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.. I really wish I just would have brought it down here with me but then I wouldn't be able to get that mcnews tune.. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.. I wish I could fix this myself but the car is in Pa and I am in FL.. thanx
jake
Used turbo. Possible bad seals.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
if its toms kit it's NOT A USED TURBO

what color is the smoke?
He said it was a used turbo.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
call me an idiot, but I'd imagine he bought the kit used.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
ok, i see it now..kinda hard to read everything when it's all bunched together like that.

So how did you get a focus power kit and get a used turbo? it comes with a new turbo...

and still, what color is the smoke?
Probably a used kit?

To add to this, too much oil pressure can cause this too. Are you using tom's oil lines and fittings?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to ask what color.. I did not buy the kit new, I bought it from a memeber like 2 years ago.. I am almost positive it is the turbo.. I know toms kits come with new turbo's.. I bought the kit after someone else used it.. So second hand would be a better way to put it..
jake

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am using the correct fittings, and I am going from right behind the coil so if anything I would have thought it wouldn't have enough pressure
jake

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not get a tune for high boost levels yet, the engine is brand new and it needs to have a couple hundred miles on it to break it in before we get into the boost.. this all may seem really stupid and what not but the car has what it needs for now except it needs to stop smoking.. It will go to mcnews to go on the dyno and put down some good numbers and get a better tune once it has a few more miles on the motor
jake

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well that is also a possibility, never thought of that.. I will find out
thanx
jake

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
True. I suppose the color would be a tell tale sign.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts