Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Dude..that sucks. I have an alarm from BestBuy. Its a Clifford. Seems to do its job...the only thing I hate is that the guy put the LED (which turned out to be a huge freaking XMas light) right in my dash!!! i cost me $300 with the install...guess its time for an alarm.

CCC

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sorry to hear that boss.
I put a Clifford on my car almost as soon as I got it. I work at a mall and I know how dumb people act when they want to.
I also have a remote start that works good on those chilly mornings

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I am sorry to hear that someone tried to break in to your car David.

Should you invest in an alarm system make sure it has an adjustable shock and motion sensor on it.Also some insurance companies might offer a discount on the policies for alarm systems so see if your company does that.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Too tell you the truth alarms dont really do much anymore, because everybody has one. And when people hear the noise, nobody cares, which sucks, I had over 2000$ in a system and with in 15 min of my bronco being alone the system got stollen, so i did put an alarm in it but it was for more than just that. But the alarm that I had was made by Alpine, to go along with all the other Alpine stuff I had. Anyways best bet is to watch where u park it and always remember your surroundings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It may have been something else which caused it to shatter. My wife's Probe rear window was completely shattered, but not broken. It looked like frost from a distance. We have no idea what caused it, but it may have been kids playing ball in the street, some other impact, or a fault in the glass itself. If people are trying to break the windows, they usually break all the way from the impact, and people generally don't go around breaking other people's windows for fun.

I agree with 1mortoy about the alarms and people not listening or caring. People have a tendancy to put them on a hair-trigger response, and it has the "boy who cried wolf" effect. At the university where I work we hear alarms going off all the time from the exhaust noise from other vehicles in our parking garages.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
To add to what I was sayin is the only tru way to stop is to get a pager, and hook it up to the moton sensor and make it so where it is strong on the inside, and they pager will go off and take a bat and go out side and beat some kidds' asses. other wise get inshurence on it and pray that that they take everything and dont mess up the in or out side to much.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got a Prestige City Tuff 2 way alarm. Pages you when ur alarm is set off. Works perfect for me.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa...I thought you couldn't get remote start on a manual tranny car...hows that work then?

CCC

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa...I thought you couldn't get remote start on a manual tranny car...hows that work then?

CCC
You can, it's just gotta be left in neutral while parking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I know that in Texas, it is ilegal to install a remote start on a manual car because ppl were blowing out their tranny and in one case someone got ran over. I tried to get one installed on my car and they said it was not done b/c of that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
SHAME ON THOSE ....WELL I HAVE THE UNGO MS 2007 ALARM MADE BY CLARION...CHECK IT AT www.clarion.com ITS A 2 WAY SECURITY SYSTEM...ALSO CLIFFORD MAKES ANOTHER TWO WAY ALARM AND THERE ARE MANY OF THEM...CHECK PRICES AND INSTALLATION COSTS...I CAN GET THIS FOR ARROUND US$190....AND I PAID $150 ON THE INSTALL WITH THE REMOTE START....GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you sure all remote starts for Manual Trannies are illegal in TX? Clifford G4 series has a safe start for manauls I had it in my Focus SVT.

In order to be able to remote start you must leave car running, hit key on remote, remove keys, shut doors, then arm which will shut down.

This way it knows it's safe to start it.

If alarm is disarmed or goes off remote start won't work unless you repeat that cycle above.

It was great!

I am hearing that Clifford won't do it on the G5 series although they could, but I am also hearing other info.

There are others but not as good as the Clifford G4. My model was a Clifford Solaris 4.

http://www.rx4speed.com/lynx.htm this company makes a 2 way remote start/alarm for manual trannies.

Dan

·
Registered
751 Posts
OK, so let's see - gotta leave it in neutral, and also have to somehow defeat the clutch switch that requires the clutch pedal to be depressed in order for the starter to crank...now, is that the same switch that disengages the cruise when you hit the clutch, and will I lose that functionality? What other hoops do I have to jump through? I see lots of remote-started cars with destroyed wiper drives, because the owner left them on when the car was shut off - and there was half an inch of ice on the car when it was remote-started. Car runs rich for too long, too, when it's started and left to idle.

No, thanks. I have never seen a car that heats up as fast as this one does, and also I have heated seats and a block heater, which I intend to use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts