Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last week my fuel rail mount broke off the manifold.. its not actually the mount, its the screw in point on the manifold that broke.. it was tighten too much last time it was done. Anyway so I ordered an early 2000 manifold to replace mine with. Sucks to be paying for the whole piece just for that stupid cheap plastic screw in thingy but anyway. Was kind of a bitch to undo all the wires but its nice that all the connectors are different.. so you can't go wrong when replugging them. i couldn't reach the stud/bolt where the alternator is in front. I finally managed to get up and get everything off and ready to put the new one in.. was happy to find out the manifold i got in the mail, still had the throttle body on it, sensor in the back, egr still connected.. i think its from an automatic though..

I installed everything back on, started the car up and it had a bit of trouble stumbling at first but i had disconnected the fuel rail so i thought it was repressurizing or so.. but then the engine kept going up to like 6000rpm and then fall back and stall.. so i looked at the connectors, one was plugged just not "clicked".. still the same.. went up high in rpm and then stalls. So i checked vaccum lines etc.. the pcv was disconnected so i had a huge leak in there.. reconnected it.. and then the car started fine.. i let idle for like 15 minutes. It hadn't ran for over a week, then i went for a ride. Car stumbled a bit when i floored it so i let off.. then after 5 minutes or so it was fine.

So i was just driving along for maybe another 10 minutes and started hearing a weird sound.. like spooling but alot louder.. at first i thought the turbo blew or something. So i stopped, looked under the hood.. smelled like exhaust.. the car was still pulling and everything and making boost. I then went to a buddies house and showed him and we found that it was my exhaust manifold flange and adapter plate that was leaking. There's no gasket (stock cat. doesn't have one either but theres like a "bevel" beed or whatever to form a seal. Anyway so i drove back home to park it and it was worse.. car was barely making boost (its leaking before the turbo) so it made sense.

Now what do i need to do.. could it be the turbo exhaust inlet that's been warped? or manifold.. or just the adapter plate between the two. I was going to buy some Permatex Copper High Temp silicone gasket maker and put it between the two connections. You guys think it'll hold? should i have real gaskets in there? it would need to be custom has there aren't any for the exh. manifold (there are for the t25 flange) Anyone tried it before for exhast leaks? I put some high temp red silicone from permatex but theres no copper.. and it holds up to 650*F (while the copper supports up to 700*F).. I let it dry over night so i haven't tried it again..

any ideas anyone? kinda pisses me off that it only took about 10 minutes to break again.. i dont understand why i did either.. its been running fine for the last 2-3 months.. oh and i tried retightening the bolts but it didn't do anything.. so there's probably something that's not "flat"..

thanks guys

·
Registered
534 Posts
i'd say get a gasket in there... i have a shorty header and then that bolts up to a adaptor which then the turbo is below that... well when i first took my car out for a spin about a week ago after building everything and finally finished my downpipe it was still was hitting my ac compressor but i was like its not that bad... boy was i wrong... well when i started the car it sounded like crap... the two flanges wernt meeting flush and there was a nice gap in between them... but i just wanted to start and drive the car cuz it had been about 6months... well i had a gasket in there but when i got home and removed the turbo again the gasket had blown out.... no joke half the gasket was now gone... when i was drivin i heard a loud pop and that im guessing is when the gasket blew out... after that i couldnt really see any boost... at first i was seeing 7.5 but after i blew out that gasket (maybe two pulls tops lol) and there was a nice gap there i was only seeing max like 3psi if that... if u cant find a gasket for there or cant make one if u paypal me like 5 bucks or so i'll make one for ya... i have made about 3 of them now lol... its the 3 bolt one that u need rite??? ya u cant buy them anywhere unless for another car cuz ur rite ford said they dont need them there... i have a big sheet of real good exhaust gasket and i'll just put the paper model of the 3 bolt flange on it trace it and cut it out and send it too ya if u want... sorry for the long rant lol

jason

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the guy up at NAPA and asked him about the gasket maker .. but theres nothing like copper or aluminum and he said the other is not really for exhaust.. he also said he CAN get the exhaust stuff but he said it'll be a bitch to make the gasket if you don't have the right tools.. you need a good press etc.. what material is the gasket sheet you are talking about. I mean i've never don a gasket before but I can use a dremel..

anyway.. he said that I should use some muffler cement (or muffler mender).. he said he used it himself for leaks and such and it worked great.. i don't know about leaks like mine where it seems the plate is warped but can't hurt to try.. that's what im scared..I think i have exacly the same setup except without the shorty header.. i still ahve the stock manifold.. but the flange that we both use should be exacly the same.. if only the adapter plate had a o-ring type or seal in there.. but it doesn't.

Did you use any type of sealing WITH the gasket? or just the gasket.. the guy mentioned i could use that mender stuff with a gasket if needed.. just reinforces everything

ill go after work to get that mender or wahtever its called.. ill see what they have as far as gasket material but I might take you up on that offer for the gasket.. since we have the same type of setup..

mine though isn't touching anything.. my a/c was removed because of clearance so thats not an issue.. i wonder what could'Ve caused it

did you shorty come with a gasket? i ahve a gasket between the plate and turbo.. is taht what you meant

and thats whats happening on mine too.. boost just doesn't build up.. its super slow.. and doesn't go like 2-3psi (set at 7.5 also)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Don't off-road pipes come with a gasket that will fit the stock exhaust manifold's "outlet"?

I'd be leery of using any sort of gasket sealer pre-turbo, because if a piece of it breaks off it could FUBAR the turbine. Ditto for certain gasket materials - I'd want something pretty rugged in there. Or just have the two mating surfaces machined flat and omit the gasket entirely. That might be your best bet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
as for that cement stuff u were talkin about yes that does work really good but u can only put that around the outside after the two flanges have been bolted together... which if ur short on room in that area like i am then i doubt u'll be able to spred that cement around the seem of the flanges once the setup is bolted up... or at least thats how i've seen it used is around the outside...

the gasket material i have i dunno really what its made out of all i know is i've been using it for years and i bought it at a mack truck repair place and they use it on everything as well... never had a leak with this material... its like a piece of metal in the middle and some material on either side of it... sorry thats about all i know lol...

for my downpipe i used this stuff called mega copper or something... they say u dont need a gasket for the downpipe to the turbo since it should be a flush fit but i did it just to be safe... it comes in a bottle n u just spread it on where u want... i can get you the exact name if u'd like... i would only recommend that stuff for like on the down pipe to turbo tho... if u ant leakin there dont worry about this stuff... its the same stuff that them honda guys use just different name... them honda guys use honda bond or something (that stuff is great as well)...

yes my shorty header has the same collector on it as the stock manifold... my shorty header bolts to the head and then the 3 bolt lower flange bolts to the adaptor, on the side of the adaptor is my wastegate flange and then on the bottom of the adaptor is a t3 flange where the turbo bolts up too... i bought a nice gasket off ebay for 5 bucks for the t3 flange only cuz it was already precut and it fit perfect... cuttin this exhaust material i have is a bit of a pain but it can be done... i have these really heavy duty sisors that will do it no problem... i've done many many of them already... for myself and friends... none of these gaskets every burnt up or leaked other then the one i blew out lol... but like i said thats cuz the flanges wernt flush at the time lol...

yes i bet we have pretty much the same setup... if u want that gasket send me that 5 bucks just to cover the shipping and i'll send you 2 gaskets... one will be cut with the hole for the exhaust to travel throught and the bolts to go through and the other i'll just cut around the outside so u can cut it when u get it just incase the one i cut is alittle off... it shouldnt be cuz the pattern im going off is a stock manifold cuz it has the same flange as my shorty and i have a stock manifold sittin in my basement... plus i already have a paper one made up and ready to be traced so it wont take long at all...

let me know

jason

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i thought abuot that also.. if something breaks off and ends up in the turbo.. = not good. Melted silicone and turbine doesn't sound too good. But I need to find a solution still.. ford doesn't have gaskets at least.. if i could find one from a shorty header or for off-road pipe, I would like that better for sure.. I'm just hoping it will work in the end and the plate won't be too warped or unsable..

can anyone confirm if the gaskets are available? or which components (and who makes them) comes with a gaskt.. im sure i could just call them and tell them i need a replacement gasket..

any idea what this muffler mender is as far as material? once its dry, what does it "create"?

thanks or the tips guys

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
FWIW - I've been using gasket material that I got off www.mcmastercarr.com (catalog page 3220) for my stock manifold -to- off road pipe connection. Its a graphite gasket material with a stainless steel mesh and is supposedly good up to 850F and 10,000 psi. But, I've yet to have one last very long. I think my problem is three fold. One, the ORP flange is probably warped. Two, its pretty difficult to torque all three bolts evenly when working by yourself. Third, every single time I'd put the thing back together I've managed to mangle the gasket in one way or another during assembly.

What typically happens is that the gasket will hold up perfectly except for one location where it will blow through. I'm making a guess that its because of either a warped flange or un-even torqued bolts because the material itself seems to be able to handle the heat the rest of the way around.

The gasket itself is a PITA to cut. The outside shape cuts easy with a pair of tin snips but for the inside and the bolt holes I end up using a carpenters knife. So I'm sure that the uneven ragged cuts on the inside don't help the life of the gasket. It hasn't helped that I'm always in a hurry to get the car back together and have to make a gasket in a pinch. Sometime when I have some spare time, I should make up a gasket in advance and take my time and do a nice job. Maybe it would actually last more than a month before leaking.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
When I was using an ORP with my Aerocharger, I used the stock ring type gasket - actually just the compressably steel ring itself. I used a die grinder and painstakingly ground a groove into the flange of the ORP - similar to the groove in the flange on the OEM cat section, I just didn't go as deep.

Worked great even after being removed and replaced a couple times.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah im sure it would at least "help" .. i feel better knowing it happened to other people as well :p

I'll feel alot better once this is fixed..

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Any kind of sealer you use will need to be good to close to 1800* and I doubt you'll find anything. Something must not be square. I run NO gaskets on my turbo inlet or downpipe and have no leaks.

Scott

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it didn't leak for 2+ months either without anything..

im thinking it might be since i restarted the car (after a week being parked) and the engine reved a few times to 6000+rpms til i went back and fixed my intake manifold leak.. might have warped something then. I let it sit for about 15 minutes after it was running smoothly again.. and then went for a drive.. thats when it start leaking.. it wasn't leaking or i would not hear it at all when i first drove out of my drive way..maybe 10 minutes after.. started making that awful noise (like a hole in the exhaust)

what about something like this.. i read alot of subaru people used it as they have trouble with uppipe fitment on their turbo applications..

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts