Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this within the last week and I have had the only new mod has been the FIPK with has been on for a week before I noticed this, what happens it the car is fine and idles fine under normal come to a stop type of driving, but say you are going down the highway at 55mph or so and you push the clutch in and take the car out of gear, the idle drops and then fluctuates between 1000rpm and I would say close to 400 rpm's up and down and the battery light came on one time like the car was going to die, but if you push the clutch in like you are coming to a stop light at 35mph, everything is the way it should be. Never gotten a code and this is the only thing I have noticed wrong with the car. Granted you shouldn't be riding down the road coasting like that but wondering why it is doing this, is it the intake or is it something else, can someone else try this and see if it occurs to them, maybe it is a focus thing that the car is trying to figure out too much. Thanks, just respond if you need more details.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It's possible that at high speed there is some air turbulence under the hood. This could be throwing your MAF reading off.... how far away from the base of the cone is the MAF on a FIPK?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right next to it, that is what I thought it probably was, was that the filter is getting lots of air flowing in and nowhere to go once it hit the Tb and the maf is telling the computer weird values, and it wouldn't do it with the factory box becuase it is sealed up. Anyone else got any ideas. Thanks FastFocusZX3

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I had the same thing happen when I was running a K&N on the end of my MAFS. I found that if you gave it little blip of the throttle things sorta evened out. Only ever happened when getting off the freeway after a good stretch of steady high speed (65- 70 ish). I got myself a second hand AEM CAI and it hasn't happened since.

G

·
0 Posts
I would suggest to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. Even if you have done it at the first place, it may not get reset properly or "old memory" was not erased somehow. Anything loose by any chance ?

=dRe=

·
Registered
786 Posts
Originally posted by aha:
I would suggest to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. Even if you have done it at the first place, it may not get reset properly or "old memory" was not erased somehow. Anything loose by any chance ?

=dRe=
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude, that's not going to do anything. He needs to rig some sort of shield up in front of the filter to block or reduce the amount of moving air that's messing with the MAF.

Start your car, open the hood and blow lightly on the filter, you'll see the same crap happen.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the ideas and suggestions, I realize it isn't a common thing that is happening and something that doesn't really mean alot becuase one shouldn't be coasting down an interstate very often, but I thought it was kinda weird and interesting what it was doing. Thanks again., Will try the blowing on the filter and see what it does.

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, and remember it may not be the FIPK itself since everyone who has it seems to have no issue. Let us know what you find.

=dRe=

1 - 9 of 9 Posts