Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done a small sefice car a few months back and its been running like a dream ever since. however tonight when driving home from work on the motorway i came down from 6th gear to 5th to over take someone only doing around 60-70mph put the foot down and the engine hesitated then starting jerking and jumping with loss of power. I pulled in and a few mins later tried the same thing again with the same results. I checked the engine out when i got home n its ticking over fine and no funny noises or anything anyone have any ideas?:mad:

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
That could be a number of things from ignition to fuel related.

I would start by replacing the regular maintenance items such as plugs, wires, and fuel filter.

After that, the coil pack, fuel pump, or even the MAF could be suspect.

-Lorin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the plugs n leads at the service a few months back along with air filter. ill think ill try a new fuel filter. if the maf sensor was the prob if i unplug the maf sensor and drive would this stop the jerking do u think?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The MAF is critical to the engine operation... it has to properly measure the air entering the engine in order to inject the correct amount of fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iv noticed on my drive home that going up the gears seems to fine if i put my foot down. but if i drop a gear n try to put foot down things start to get jumpy. does this help anyone. and cheers for the help above

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Rev-limiter? :dunno:

I once had to field a call for a cruise control not working. Culprit? It wasn't turned on.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
did you by any chance put a k&n air filter on?

if its an oiled air filter, you need to clean off the maf. Those things jack up all kinds of stuff.

·
mani i love dongs
7,048 Posts
i would check your plugs again. make sure they are properly gapped and that they are not fouled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts