Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so check it out. i've got an extra 17" wheel lying around that i was thinking of putting a tire on and using as a spare. i'm running 205/45/17's right now, but i think i'm going to bump them up to 215/45/17 for the next set of tires. what i'm wondering about is would it be safe to put a 205/40/17 tire (to save a little $) on as a spare? would the size difference be that horrible that i couldn't drive it?

Nate

·
Registered
160 Posts
1st, i don't think the full size tire will fit in the well, its too wide, even a 205... and if ur going thru the trouble to use the same size wheel, it would look silly to use a smaller tire, kinda defeats the purpose... i wouldn't worry about the spare, how many times have u ever used it anyway? in 19yrs of driving, i've never used a spare tire... damn, and i gotta go out tomorrow, i bet i jinxed myself now...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know it won't fit the well, i was actually thinking of making the well into a sub enclosure and using the wheel as a really big grill. as for not using a spare you must have never lived in a major city... well at least one with [censored] roads like baltimore. i've had three flats in five years of driving. one from the roads and two from being slashed. i just want something that i can drive on for a week or so while i order a new tire.

Nate

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a 205/50-16 tire on the stock 16X6 wheel which I had as a full size spare in my Focus Sedan and later in my Focus Wagon which fit in the spare tire well.

As to using different size tires on the road, go to www.tirerack.com and look up the different sizes that you are concerned with, then click on specs and look at the revolutions per mile.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Also, if you have to put a spare on that is not the same size as the other three, make sure that (if possible) you put the odd sized tire on the rear of the car (for a FWD car of course). The transaxle/diff does not like to have two different tire diameters at any kind of speed for any long period of time. That's the other reason why most spares have a 'speed' rating. Its not just to save the tire, its to save yourself from killing the diff.

And if you think flats only happen in bad areas, I got a flat today pulling into work. Nice country road and our parking lot here is very well maintained. I just happened to run over a nice piece of steel when pulling onto the shoulder prior to turning. It cut a 1" slash right on the tread all the way through. The tire went completley flat in about 5 minutes. From now on, I will stay in my lane until I get completley to my turn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts