Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that American Car companies think that we really want cheap over quality?

The point for my argument.

My other car is a 1999 Olds Alero (Wife's car). Last week the she shut the door and the window dropped into the door. Turns out the window regulator broke. I took it apart and at the bottom of the door lies a bunch of broken white plastic pieces. So I knew I couldn't fix that myself(I thought it just came of the track or something).

I took it to the local shop and had them fix it. $150 for a piece of plastic(not to mention labor). The guy at the shop told me he had just left GM and this was a very common thing for those cars.

So my question is...

Why do american car companies cut so many corners to save cost on a car?

I mean here is one the most used items on a car (it raises and lowers the window) that holds up a very heavy piece of glass, that is subjected to daily door slamming and exterior tempature changes and they make it out of plastic! Seriously the cost of metal could not have been that much more. I would rather pay the $25 bucks added to the cost of the orginal price then to have 4 windows possibly break at $350 a pop.

rant over

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Well... your point is valid.

This is particularly true of small cars.

...in short, I detest the American car buying public.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Werd.

I think they calculate it like this:
Will you notice and NOT buy the car if you had planned on it anyway based on a piece of plastic (and cheapness in fifty other hidden areas)? If not, after producing 120K of these, they have saved *insert million dollars*.

It sucks, because a lot of times just a few extra bucks here and there could save a TON of money down the line.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
But see... if you had bought a BWM and that had happened, warranty or not, you more than likely would have been taken care of.

You get what you pay for.... plain and simple.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ That's why my next car is a 3 series

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
But see... if you had bought a BWM and that had happened, warranty or not, you more than likely would have been taken care of.
Oh God... you don't buy a BMW nowadays if you are looking for low maintenance costs. Things definitely break and will break you trying to pay for them out of warranty!
Better example might be Lexus or something.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Actually, those white pieces can be easily replaced on your own. All you have to do is pull the doorpanel, the glass, and regulator. Swap in the new clips and reassemble. Half hour job. I did it on my 99 Grand Am (identical door). Wish I was closer, I'd do it for you. And yes, on the 99+ N-body, this is common.

Watch out for the lower intake manifold gasket if you have the 3400 V6. That one is a bitch.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
somehow it just didn't look that simple when I pulled it apart. Still, I don't get why the part was so expensive.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Don't just say it is an American problem. Ask a VW owner about window regulators.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

I highly disagree. Yes you get what you pay for, but BMW or anything else for that matter, still have warranty guidelines that are pretty much the same as GM.

Scott

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

There is a reason BMW owners call dealerships "stealerships." I'd say the odds of a BMW dealer fixing his problem on a 1999 car are about 8.83 x 10^-17[/n] to one.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Once your car is out of warrantee pretty much every car company will look at you like you're crazy for asking.

As for the $150 part? The similar (also plastic) part on a VW would probably be $250.

BTW if you want real service I'd suggest Acura or Lexus. They don't give you the "I'm not sure if thats covered" crap you get from most US makes.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
But see I rather my car have something break down from being a technologically innovative car, that a cheaply maid car with 20 year old technology.

That said I rather the car did not break at all, and this mindset of American car companies is why they are losing me as a customer. Until they can prove the quality of there cars is better, I will be more likely to buy a Kia than a GM. At least the kia is cheep, at least that company is working to IMPROVE.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
As for the $150 part? The similar (also plastic) part on a VW would probably be $250.
Tell me about it, this same situation happened TWICE on the wifey's '01 Jetta GLS........and I would say that the overall build quality is much higher than a domestic. Some things just wear out faster than others.

·
Registered
697 Posts
somehow it just didn't look that simple when I pulled it apart. Still, I don't get why the part was so expensive.
The GM parts/labor manuals call for the entire regulator to be replaced when they break. The part itself is not even listed in the illustrated break-downs. If you know the numbers beforehand, you can special order them.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The GM parts/labor manuals call for the entire regulator to be replaced when they break. The part itself is not even listed in the illustrated break-downs. If you know the numbers beforehand, you can special order them.

No, there is no such numbers. Even if you call partech, they will tell you the same thing. (non servicable part) The N body regulator is sold as an assembly only, as are most regulators. And like stated above, this is very common on the N body cars.

Scott

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
So my question is...

Why do american car companies cut so many corners to save cost on a car?
Because they are already at a disadvantage with retirees and medical costs. For example, it costs GM like $1500 a car to cover these costs, and guess where they make that at? By giving us cheaper compents and cutting corners on cars. Imange what Ford could do with an extra $1500 on a Focus or something....

·
Registered
697 Posts
No, there is no such numbers. Even if you call partech, they will tell you the same thing. (non servicable part) The N body regulator is sold as an assembly only, as are most regulators. And like stated above, this is very common on the N body cars.
Yes there are numbers for them, I have ordered them myself for my car. 22697622 22697623

Window Clip

1 - 20 of 21 Posts