Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, got a nice barely used Spearco 2-231 core for $430 off ebay. It's in really good shape, and will fit well under the hood with the airbox and battery removed.

Looking inside, it's evident that the Spearco AW cores are not just AA cores turned sideways. They actually appear to have biased the layer thickness for more charge air flow. The water channels are thinner, because they need less room.

I've also got a huge Fluidyne cooler coming for the front, supposed to be here today. It's basically going to fill the entire front grill area.

Now, all I need is some aluminum mandrel bends, and a pump.

The pump, I know what I want, but I'll have to save for it. Jabsco Centri-puppy, brass rotor and housing, continuous duty, 20GPM. But it's $180.
I might see if I can scrounge up some POS pump to hold me over until I get the real thing.

I need some Aluminum mandrel bends to do the piping, I want to redo it in aluminum, with beads.

Anybody know where to find aluminum mandrel bends, from 1.75" to 3" OD?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice IC Rob I think you will be pretty happy with that unit I had a knockoff of that on my XR for a few months while I waited for my RS500 Intercooler. As for the pumps I used a standard marine pump it only move 750GPH but it was only $35 at my local boat shop. For the piping I got some from JC Whitney Link

Are you going to measure the intake and exhaust temp VS your Air to Air??

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long did the pump last? Apparently they'll die, but if it holds me over until I can get a real one, that's cool.

I have NO intercooler right now to compare against.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mine never had a problem, my dads running an a similar setup with the same pump and his has been on for almost 3 years near 10,000KM now of hard use. We were also pushing through twin B&M Transmission coolers.

Look at it this way worst case your pump fails, find a boat shop or even a Wal-Mart and your back up and running again. See it's a pretty good solution to the problem.
It should work just as well for your application.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have it running constantly, or just under boost? Is water and salt spray a problem, or do you only drive it in the sun in the summer?

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
See, I told ya you were going to beat me to it! Sounds good.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Do you have it running constantly, or just under boost? Is water and salt spray a problem, or do you only drive it in the sun in the summer?
It was running constantly as soon as the main power is turned on the pump starts up. We only ran it in the summer, but coming up with a solution to prevent freezing shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shroed, yeah, I'm gonna try to weld it myself. Half the point of me building my own kit is to learn, and I've done well so far, so no point stopping now. I know it's tricky, and I've got a guy who's gonna help if I have trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts