Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would it sound like? i read somewere that if you took 2 cylinders and ran them in their own pipe and the other two in their own pipe that it would sound similar to a V-8... is this true?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Similar in that it would be MUCH Smarter than "Y"'ing or "T"'ing into Dual Outlets from a single Header.
That's the Extent of it.
To get the Flow right, you'd really have to do some Rocket-Science to get the correct tubing diameters and lengths.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have heard if you put a dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder, you lose major back pressure, and decrease ur torque, and actually lose power.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not even close to a v-8 sound.
Have you heard this done before? The place that i read it said something about the firing order and frequency of something something something.....???

·
Registered
729 Posts
your 2 cylinders short on each side for a v8 sound,,,,i think it might sound like two ticked off lawn mowers. i dont think it would really work anyway,,,,u would have to have some pretty small tube diameters to even get the back pressure u needed..id say if you were puttin it on a show car go for it..but for anything drivin on a normal basis it wouldnt be worth the trouble..IMO

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess im just thinkin of what two v twin harleys sound like... one cylinder goes down, and one goes up.. you could pipe the zetec that way.... i was hoping it would sound like two 1000cc bikes.

·
Registered
729 Posts
ya but in doin that they still breathe out the same pipe...if u ran 1 pipe per cylinder back it might sound like a harley...but prolly not i dont think...i still think it would sound like a heated battle of john deere lawn racers

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry d00d...no replacement for displacement...
I think ^ he's right, you'll probably lose horsepower & torque

·
Registered
729 Posts
o boy

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Since when do you need backpressure for power? I agree it would prally sound bad but this whole backpressure flap sounds a bit off. If backpressure was good, why have race headers and aftermarket exhaust systems?

·
Registered
729 Posts
from what i understand small displacement motors need a certain degree of backpressure to produce optimum effeciency. im not sure how it works exactly,,but i know u just dont go slap a 3.5 inch exhaust on a n/a motor...it just dont work. when runnin boost of somesort u want bigger piping to flow the extra air out..but like i said,,,im not completely sure how it works, maybe a tech could answer better.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
has nothing to do with backpressure... has to do with flow. why a race header? cuz catalytic converters interrupt the flow?

Why cat-back exhausts? Cuz the stock is bad for flow.

NOTHING TO DO WITH BACKPRESSURE!

·
Registered
729 Posts
lol,,,,,i dunno,,,,,to much thinking,,,,thats just what iv read, heard, watched on t.v....

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
let me dig this thread up.
okay i cant find it for some reason... too bad it was a great thread.

found
THIS
and
THIS
though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i just got skooled lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts