Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention autocrossers and track junkies, if you were going to custom design a spring (for use with an aftermarket damper) what would you want?

In other words, is there a niche out there that is simply not being filled?

What would the specs be and what dampers would you choose to pair them with?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
i'd get an Eibach-developed spring in the 600lbs range, linear or lightly progressive (20% to full stiff or so), at a 2" or so drop

i'd pick konis revalved and shortened to fit

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Keep the same f/r ratio and drop as the H&R race springs...but about another 30% stiffer...and revalved Konis

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
i'd get an Eibach-developed spring in the 600lbs range, linear or lightly progressive (20% to full stiff or so), at a 2" or so drop

i'd pick konis revalved and shortened to fit
I like this idea except full linear with higher than H&R race spring bias to the rear.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Springs - stock diameter, 425 lb/in front, 500 lb/in rear, 1.5" lowering in front, 2" in rear but with the K&W spring perches that allow for height adjustment.

Dampers - Bilstein monotubes with 1.5" shorter bodies in the front and 1" in the rear. Preferably 41mm internals.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Springs - stock diameter, 425 lb/in front, 500 lb/in rear, 1.5" lowering in front, 2" in rear but with the K&W spring perches that allow for height adjustment.

Dampers - Bilstein monotubes with 1.5" shorter bodies in the front and 1" in the rear. Preferably 41mm internals.
Sounds like a plan.
You can already get heavier springs with a couple of the available setups, but the specifics of Rich's suggestion sound great to me.
I don't care for a 1/2" difference F/R, but if they had adjustable perches, that could be dialed to taste.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, I'm looking for a spring that people would want that isn't readily available... I've got a contact in the performance spring market and I'm thinking of producing FJ Werks springs if I can come up with something a bit unique.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm looking for a spring that people would want that isn't readily available... I've got a contact in the performance spring market and I'm thinking of producing FJ Werks springs if I can come up with something a bit unique.
IMO, Rich's suggestion meets this criteria, but, as always, dampers are part of the deal...
If you only want a spring package, you might replicate the stats of the 1.6" Apex setup that is no longer available, PLUS a "Stage 2" set that's 2" drop and around the rates that Auto-X_ZTS mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Springs that meet the rules [whatever they may be] for the up coming Focus Cup.... Also, if you are looking to sponsor an East Coast Focus Cup Car. I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

lol

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I think if you do the math, my "30%" suggestion is awful close to Rich's 425/500 numbers (H&R Race is 325/375 x 30% is 423/488). I am not familiar with the specifics of the Bilsteins, though I know they have a good reputation--the adjustablity of the Koni's, I feel, is a very strong selling point...and having them made double-adjustable would be even better. How about some Penske's?

[Homer Simpson]Ohhhhhhhh Pensekeeeee's[/Homer Simpson]

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
I would love to see some springs with a 1.5" drop from the standard Focus ride height with a 200F/245R linear rate. This would be the same F/R ratio as the SVT springs.

Probably too soft for serious auto-x, but it is stiffer than most 1.5" drop springs for those who want a firmer ride without getting into the much firmer 300+ range with the H&R race springs and the too low for practical daily use 2" drop.

This is what I have been trying to find for a while now. A bit firmer without a severe drop. A good compromise for those who have to live with their cars on a daily basis but want to auto-x or track from time to time and find the stock springs, or any other available lowering springs either not quite firm enough or too low.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I would love to see some springs with a 1.5" drop from the standard Focus ride height with a 200F/245R linear rate. This would be the same F/R ratio as the SVT springs.
Ooo. I second this.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Ataru,
You've basically seconded my "Replace the unavailable Apex 1.6" drop" that I described above.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ataru has a very good suggestion, there just isn't a in between spring. If there was a spring set with the drop of the H&R sports and the F/R ratio of the SVT springs (just stiffer, say 200F/245R), I would buy it*. The race springs to me are, just race spring. I live in Austin most of the year and I would break every rim on my car driving on the roads with Race Springs.

*Funds permitting.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yup, I kinda third the "replace the 1.6 Apex setup". I didn't know it disappeared, that blows. That was the most entertaining, best handling, budget setup I've seen. Damn riceboys ruin everything wanting a Mad Tyte Drop Yo.

I guess it just depends where Ron wants to be positioned. If he wants to make the ultimate hard-core stock form factor springs, go with Rich's suggestion.

If he wants the ultimate streetable setup, do the 200/250 1.5" setup.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I guess it just depends where Ron wants to be positioned. If he wants to make the ultimate hard-core stock form factor springs, go with Rich's suggestion.

If he wants the ultimate streetable setup, do the 200/250 1.5" setup.
Why not do both?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
yep, why not? I can't say I have any to add to said conversation after those two suggestions......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts