Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gals and Pizza folk
. I have a simple, but complex question for you. I have a 2001 Focus. I just replaced the serpentine belt on it because it was squealing rather annoyingly. After nearly two hours of fighting to get the belt back on (those of you who have changed it without the tension belt tool, know just how hard it is), it was still chirping a little bit, annoyed by this I sprayed belt dressing on it and now it is louder than it ever was. What Gives?? Does anyone know what the issue might be?? I mean, why would it get louder and more annoying, and embarrissing, after putting the dressing on?? Its a new belt for Ford's sake! Thanks to any and all replies in advance.

Sincerely,
Squealing in Kentucky. (How fitting)

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
First, start the car and see if any accessory is visibly seized or spinning slowly. If so, that's likely where you'd start looking.

If not, take the belt off and, spinning each accessory pulley by hand, see what isn't spinning easily. It could be the bearings in your alternator are on the way out, it could be a locked up idler pulley, bad tensioner bearings, loose tensioner (doesn't sound like that's the problem), a siezed or failing water pump or power steering pump.

The crank pulley ovbiously won't spin easily by hand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Axon, i was gonna do that, then i realized that it doesnt squeal when the car is in idle, only when I am giving it gas. Would the car start to overheat if it was a bearing issue in the water pump?? Thanks again

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that would work if you only wanted to get rid of the squealing and not the problem that is causing the squealing. Belt Dressing is an adhesive of some sort, making the belt stick to the pulleys so to speak. WD-40 is a lubricant, making the belt slippery, and actually sliding around the pulleys, not letting much grip get to them. Which in turn could cause problems in itself.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Axon, i was gonna do that, then i realized that it doesnt squeal when the car is in idle, only when I am giving it gas. Would the car start to overheat if it was a bearing issue in the water pump?? Thanks again
Give it gas from under the hood!

Right to the rear of the engine where the large intake tube attaches, you'll see the throttle body. There's a round lever with at least one cable attached to it. let the car idle, and while it's idling, twist that lever gently and not too far. This is like resting your foot on the accellerator a little. Your RPM's will climb. Make sure no loose clothing or anything else touches the hot or moving parts of the engine. Wouldn't want to get torn up or burned. Then look and listen for slipping pulleys if you can get it to happen while the hood's up. Otherwise, have a friend or relative rev the engine gently while you examine the pulleys for slipping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Axon, I took the belt off and checked all the pulleys. They all seemed to move very freely on their own. Except for one, and I dont know if it is supposed to be that easy to spin or not, and that is the power steering pump. I could turn it but with some resistant, and a clicking noise. Not sure if that is normal or not, and the squealing sounds almost as if it is coming from that area. Should that pump be easy to turn?? Its the only thing i can think of. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank Axon, one more thing i forgot to mention. The idler pulley seems to be wobbly, like a skateboard wheel when it loses a bearing or two. Is that normal?? i mean, i can literally move it back and forth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts