Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at some srt4 forums because I'm looking at getting a four door car for a new baby, and I had to laugh at the number of threads and posts in the different sections. I was mainly looking at suspension stuff because that seems to be the SRT4's weak point. Here's what I found:

18,448 threads, and 207,026 posts about engine performance, while suspension has gotten 1,124 threads, and 9,971 posts.

This was on srtforums.com. No wonder people say that the cars are only good for straight line performance, that all anyone is interested in using the cars for!(for the most part, there are exceptions to ever rule)

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
that would explain why a guy around here barrel rolled on a backroad in his 6 times and totaled it i guess...he's ok but he's a big loser and now drives a GS-T

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Umm I really can't say anything, I put a big suspension on my car.... Still doesn't mean it can harness all the power.
-bix

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
This was on srtforums.com. No wonder people say that the cars are only good for straight line performance, that all anyone is interested in using the cars for!(for the most part, there are exceptions to ever rule)
I believe it is all about potential.

People know that there are bunches of horsies waiting to be released for cheap... so they spend the majority of their time looking into engine mods.

For the most part, the Focus doesn't have quite the dollar/horsepower ratio quickly available with easy modifications, but it does have huge handling potential.

This is what I see as the cause of such a disparity.

Also, the suspension aftermarket for the Neon/SRT-4 is ass compared to the Focus.... not sure why, but I think the European suspension market helps drive ours, thankfully.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
that would explain why a guy around here barrel rolled
Press Z or R twice!

SRTs suspension is alright, just limited in suspension travel. Lowering one isn't a great idea, and thats what half of enthusiasts want to do... so I don't think its that they don't care, just that they are content with what they have... it is already upgraded from a standard Neon.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Heck, Koni's and some good Race Springs is almost all you need!
I find the Neon to be quite a decent well-balanced car w/ handling close to that of the Focus.
Stock for Stock, they're not THAT far apart.
I wouldn't be too distressed just because a bunch of kids can only think about Big Power #'s.
A Majority of Americans listen to CRAPPY Cookie-Cutter Music.
That doesn't mean that you can't FIND good music available.
It's the nature of the ever dumber American Pop Culture, whether it be cars or music.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
yeh i have total respect for their power...its a nice car, besides looking like a neon. i just dont like the attitude most of them have, i have had a few bad experiences with srt-4 owners, being they think they are holy'er than thou because there cars are fast

i just smile and kno i could smile in the twisties while they are white-knuckling

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I wouldn't say SRT-4 guys don't know or care about suspension because as of late I've been seeing them alot at local auto-x competitions. Whether they're competing with the other cars in the class is another issue. The suspension set up doesn't seem to take the corners as well and where everyone else in the class is running low 50 seconds the SRT-4s always seem to be in the upper 50 second range. People blame the course layout or the "advantages" of other cars in its class (such as the Integras) but I think these are more excuses then real agendas.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the SRT4 is already faster on pump gas than my car is on race gas in straight lines. I was just hoping to get it to handle as badass as well. Is it possible?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I was just hoping to get it to handle as badass as well. Is it possible?
Yes.

It really doesn't handle bad, it just suffers from two things:

1) Skinny-ass tires on skinny ass wheels suck. My good friend has a 17x7.5 with 225/40-17s installed on his R/T with lowering springs, so I KNOW that you can get more tire down in an SRT-4. A big-ass rear bar helps too.

2) That is a LOT of torque to put down through wheels that also need to brake and turn... The LSD helps, but at the end of the day, we all have to recognize that there is a limit to what FWD can do.

That said, it has limitations in D Stock autocrossing, but for an all-around fun car, it can be made to handle even better than stock.

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
Ok honestly the SRT-4 hate is out of style, nobody buys one because they think it handles like it's on rails.... so why is it shocking that they just want to go faster?

For all the talking a lot of the Focus people do, barely any of you actually autox, and the ones that do autox probably aren't trash talking because they ran against a Neon last week that might have had a better run.

It's just that lately, focaljet has me laughing out loud because now that I've gotten over my initial 'omg I love my new car' syndrome I can see clearly.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ill never understand why there is so much hatred towards the SRT-4. You guys(for the most part) dont realy know anything about them except for what youve heard by word of mouth. There is nothing wrong with the stock suspension. It rides high, but so does a focus. Even an SVT rides high. It handles just fine. It can be made better just like a focus can. So why all the hate? Or should I say jealousy?

Im not gonna argue with the fact that SRTforums.com sucks. Thats why I only have like 30 posts there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not a bad car. Just some really young spoiled owners.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Not a bad car. Just some really young spoiled owners.
Not everyone is. Every car will have a few rich kids for owners that dont know crap about the car. To generalize the SRT-4 as a young spoiled kid car, is pretty broad. There are some. They are just the ones making all those stupid comments all the time that everyone hears about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts