Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have driven a couple of them so far 1 '03, 2 '04s
now how can you tell if it has moper stg 1-3 "if there is even a 3"????

the one i drove tonight was OMFGHS fast! i look down and it was at 40.

the boost came in really low and FAST "ALMOST no spool". i was confused so i looked at the boost gauge, by the time i look back to the speedometer it was passing 80. and it was just a regular glance. i was not expecting it to be THAT fast.

The LSD rocks. i did a few acceleration spurts from different gears. 1st was really slow then BAM the power kicked in the car felt like it wanted to break free. but it didnt. 2nd from about 20+/- WOT about 1 second later BAM got up and took off still wanted to break free but nothing.

what gave me the smile of my life was 5th, it pulled like it was in any other gear!!!!. holy [censored] i could NOT believe it!!. i looked all under the hood. everything looked stock minus the BOV, coilovers and exhaust. what could seriously make the A853 THAT fast
i asked and he said "i dont know exactly what it has"
BTW they were asking 22.5k for it 28k miles....i offered him
13k right there and then for it and he laughed......

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
stage 1 is bigger injectors and recalibrated ECU

stage 2 with turbo toys should be the same as well as a new stronger wastegate and octane switch..which lets you change from race gas to pump gas with the push of a button

stage 3 has a slightly larger turbo and the requisite accomadations to the ECU as well as even bigger injectors

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Stage I can't be seen, it's just injectors and a reflash. If it's Stage II, it may have switches in the interior for intercooler sprayer and boost controller. If not, look for the new wastegate actuator. Stage III will have a shiny new fuel rail.

If it doesn't have any of those, it was just built using individual parts.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
there are 3 stages.
stg 1 is a pcm upgrade and injector change.
Stg 2 I don't remember at teh moment
stg 3 gets a whole new turbo. 350ish HP and 300-325 trq IIRC. I'll look in my literature at work tomorrow.

And yeah, they are a kick in the pants to drive. Almost have traded my focus in many a times for one.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
For the Mopar "Stage" upgrades, there's a few easy ways to tell them apart. For S1, look at the label on the PCM which is mounted next to the radiator in front of the air box (note that some early S2 PCM's are labeled as S1, so read on how to identify the others).

The S2 and S3R setups use a 3 BAR MAP sensor, and the actual sensor on the top left of the intake manifold will say "3 BAR" on it. To tell the difference between the S2 and S3 if you don't know what the bigger turbocharger looks like, pull the "SRT-4" injector cover off. If there's a vacuum line attached to it near the center, then it's a S3 rail. If only the fuel line attaches, it's S2. And if you look at the cigarette lighter in the center stack and there are a dial and blue/red switches it has the S2 or S3R 'turbo toys' option.

And yes, if you've never driven a turbo four, they are fast. Instant torque is a great thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts