Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys

my friend gilbert got a srt-4 yellow a REAL nice car from what i saw

after we hit the twistys his car didant seem so fast or mabey it was his driving

anyway!

LAST night on his way back home from a night out on the town with friends he was involved with a head on colision with a DRUNK driver

she was going about 35-40 and he was doing the same speed

the car is totald the motor came in a substanial ammount breaking through the firewall and almost into the cabin

you know what the funny thing is

HIS AIRBAGS DIDANT DEPLOY!!!!!!!!!

thats right no airbags

doctors say his lower spine is in bad shpe they said something about it being outa place almost i dunno

COMPARED TO THE FOCUS i would say its [censored]

i rear ended someone doing 40 ( dont ask) all i got was air bags NO BODY DAMAGE not one scaratch on the bumpers JUST airbags evan the poliece officers were amazed saying they have never seen anything like this before

so srt-4 gets a BIG BIG BIG

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
While it's noteworthy that the airbags didn't deploy, it's also important to realize that a HEAD ON accident at those speeds is in NO WAY comparable to you rear-ending someone. The forces involved are huge order of magnitudes greater. Survivability plummets in such instances, so in ANY car it's amazing he is alive.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
hate f'g drunk drivers...glad to hear he's alive. but even if he pulls thru, he'll have back probs the rest of his life...so he better so the snot outta that jerk for all he's worth to cover it.

-Ult

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OHH DONT worry hes gonna make a YFGUGILGNIUNOM load of money

1. drunk driver
2. hes not at fault
3. hes talking to his lawyer and fileing a case against dodge aout those airbags

hes set

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I'd rather be in good health than have a "YFGUGILGNIUNOM load of money"

Murph is very right about those crash forces - I believe it's more than double the combined speeds. Be glad he is alive and I wouldn't expect that the SRT-4 would have survived such a crash. Cars these days are designed to crumple. Strange about the lack of airbags, but they aren't guaranteed to deploy in a frontal crash - I'd have to see more details before I'd claim that Dodge was at fault in any way.

Best of luck to your friend.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
[censored] the car, is your friend safe?

SRT-4 safe? Not at all times. Focus safe? Not at all times too.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
First off, glad he is alive. Second, his back is screwed for life. Hopefully they can fix him up enough so he won't need pain pills the rest of his life. My wife fell down stairs many yrs ago and to this day needs to go to the Chiropractor(sp) to have her back cracked and aligned every now and then.

And that car is a pile of crap. I had a head on collision with my 92 stang and a 2.5' diameter tree and the engine/tranny barely dented the firewall. Speed, no one really knows. I was flown to ICU and it was wet outside so they couldn't calculate it. Estimating about 50-60mph when hit the tree.

He definitely has a good case and should come out with good payoff..especially if he is going after dodge for the airbags. But if they can't fix his back..he will be spending all the money on drugs and doctors.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
An that car is a pile of crap. I had a head on collision with my 92 stang and a 2.5' diameter tree and the engine/tranny barely dented the firewall. Speed, no one really knows. I was flown to ICU and it was wet outside so they couldn't calculate it. Estimating about 50-60mph when hit the tree.
But it would have been diffrent if you would have hit an object that had equal or greater mass that was moving at equal speed to you.

You can't just say I hit X as Y speed, and my car held up. All things are not equal.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
But it would have been diffrent if you would have hit an object that had equal or greater mass that was moving at equal speed to you.

You can't just say I hit X as Y speed, and my car held up. All things are not equal.
I know they are not equal accidents. But there is a big difference between hitting something and coming to a dead stop and when you hit another moving object and you "ricochet" off that object. Usually when you hit something and especially another moving object, you don't hit eachother and stay in the same place as impact. Which in all of my research, hitting a fixed object is more serious and causes more damage.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Which in all of my research, hitting a fixed object is more serious and causes more damage.
I'll stick with basic physics.

I think it is just silly to dwindle on the car anyway... Everybody should be happy the guy is in one piece.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Which in all of my research, hitting a fixed object is more serious and causes more damage.
I am glad my life doesn't depend on your research!

Hitting a moveable object that is standing still is not as bad as hitting a fixed object, but hitting a moveable object that is comming at you with equal force is way worse.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
whatever dude. I am not getting into a pissing match. I researched actual crash data and police reports throughout the state of florida of accidents. And I am not talking about and never mentioned hitting a moveable object that is standing still. I re-read what I posted and think you mis understood. I was just posting my experiences and don't feel the need to get into a debate when we should be more concerned that he is ok.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
you should take the 'lolololol' outta your title though, it was your friend man who was the victim here.

-Ult

·
Registered
1 Posts
you should take the 'lolololol' outta your title though, it was your friend man who was the victim here.

-Ult
Yea, seriously. I really think you need a lesson in maturity. Your friend is in an accident and you come here and post like your proud of it so you can make fun of the car he is driving.

To the guy that compared this accident to hitting a parked car, learn some physics and some math before you make a comment like that.

As for him (victim) having back problems because the air bags didn't deploy, how do you figure? To me, it sounds like he wasn't wearing his seat belt. An air bag is not going to do anything for you if you don't wear your seatbelt! I know this because I was in a bad frontal collision with a utility pole going 45mph. Remember, an airbag has "SRS" stamped on it for a reason, because it is a Supplimental Restraint System.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my friend is fine he is actually real happy this happend

you guys are all jumping on my case as if im a child my post was about the saftey of the srt-4 NOT my friend

YES he was involved in a crash and hes fine i was there with him at 3 am in the hospital you werent so cut the crap about maturity

when [censored] happens in life you cant sit and sad trip every day
you have to look back and laugh im not a up tight child like you make me out to be

kick back man

·
Registered
849 Posts
thats my little dude

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
umm, sorry but i'm a bit of a physics whore.

the severity of a crash is relatied to the total KE of the system RIGHT BEFORE the crash. So take two cars going the same speed, directly at each other. Assume that ALL KE is bled off during the crash. VEhicle 1 has a KE of 1/2mv^2. Vehicle 2 has the same KE, but in an opposite direction. Total KE is thus the sum of the two...or simply mv^2.

Now take the crash into the tree. You only have one object wtih kinetic energy, the car. Its KE is equal to 1/2mv^2, v being a differnet quantity. Going through the damned equations and setting scenario one equal to scenario two, if the car in scenario 2 is travelling at 1.414 (square root of two)times the speed of the cars in scenario one, then the crash is just as horrendous. And, as in the scenario that dude gave, he was going 60 when he hit the tree, and the head-on collision, where each car was going 40, then the car into the tree was a harder crash.

Furthermore, the tree didn't deform, the two cars did, so once we up the complexity of the model, the difference becomes even greater. Dude who hit tree, his crash was worse.

Lesson over

1 - 19 of 19 Posts