Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that the ST170 lights aren't street legal? How many problems have you guys had and why aren't they legal?

Also do they come in black housing?

I think the final decision is to go with the ST170's and then a euro grill on top and bottom, I'll start saving for them now lol....also how do the city lights/parking lights work? whats the difference? LOL so many questions i've been asking i know...

The headlights come with instructions for wiring them, correct?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I haven't had a single problem with my ST170s concerning legal hassling. They are only available in the dark grey housing, but it might as well be black IMHO. The city lights are small bulbs that stick through the reflector housing and are available in a wide variety of colors. I have red bulbs. When you put your parking lights on, the city lights come on, as well as your side markers... but the turn signals DO NOT come on.

Anyway, here is a pic of mine with the city lights at night

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think the only reason why they might not be street legal is that they haven't been tested by the D.O.T.

I'm sure that they'd pass if they were tested though...

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think the only reason why they might not be street legal is that they haven't been tested by the D.O.T.

I'm sure that they'd pass if they were tested though...
Ya, he's right. There's nothing wrong with them they work better than our junk stock headlights, they just don't have the little DOT stamp om them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yup yup. DOn't have the actual ST170's, but I do have the 2002 Euro's (same as the ST170, but chromey). Excellent light pattern, kicks ass over stock. Never been hassled, since they look stock.

·
Registered
117 Posts
damn dude, you need to start one thread with all your questions, you are all over the Exterior Mod forum!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
damn dude, you need to start one thread with all your questions, you are all over the Exterior Mod forum!
Hehe, goog one

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As far as I know, the ST-170 and regular European 2002 headlights are E-Code. In Canada, E-Code lighting is approved for street use, so that means, these lights are Street legal. I also heard that Some US States allow E-Code lighting, your best bet is to check your local state HTA to find out for sure, but otherwise, I would see no problem with using these lights in a state that doesnt allow non-dot lights, the light output is superior to that found on a DOT lamp.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Since this thread has pretty much answered the original question about the ST-170s, what about this:
The city lights are small bulbs that stick through the reflector housing and are available in a wide variety of colors. I have red bulbs...
If anything should get you in trouble it should be red lights on the front end, not DOT vs E-spec.

I'm not a hater and I'm sure your car is pimp (dope, cool, whatever). But please don't drive around like that. The only lighting regulations that make any sense govern the color of light to distinguish front from back at night. It's why neon gets such grief from the law.

If I see red lights coming toward me, my first instinct is to take cover from the nut who's backing up on the wrong side of the road with no reverse lights. No wait, it's just someone looking cool. Help me out here; switch to amber.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Technically if they aren't DOT approved they aren't legal... BUT (and its a BIG one) I want to see anyone who has EVER been even asked about them at all.

The only reason i would see someone getting in trouble for them is if they are driving around with Red or Bright Blue City lights.

Also i think Slayer has mentioned before that he only turns the city lights on when he's showing the car off or when its stopped. Another thing is that (at least in my car) the lil bulb for the city light is SO weak that once the headlights are on you can't even see the output by the city light, their almost impossible to see during the day and pretty week at night when you have them on by themselves.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you are going to put red/blue/green or other coloured bulbs in the City Light socket of your Euro/2k2/ST170/HID/Hella headlamps, be sure that when you are driving your car, you turn off those little lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts