Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a stage 5 clutch but am having trouble deciding on which brand to go with. I plan on using a Fidanza 8.5 aluminum flywheel if this makes a difference.

My engine builder likes Clutch Masters, but some other knowledgable people are telling me they fall apart and that I should go with a Spec clutch instead.

Does anyone have experience with either one of these company's Stage 5 offerings?

Are there any other companys out there that have a Stage 5 equivelent without being way over expensive?

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
i think both are great companys. or for a little more get a exedy clutch.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
ok my first question is.. why a stage 5? and second i think both are great companys. or for a little more get a exedy clutch.
hes going to have some major power soon. I personally like my clutchmaster, although its not a stage 5, its just a 3

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
neither

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Id go with the spec one. My stg3 spec clutch has about 15k on it already and still picks up like the 1st day, (215whp/219w ft lbs)

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id go with the spec one. My stg3 spec clutch has about 15k on it already and still picks up like the 1st day, (215whp/219w ft lbs)
Thanks for the input.

Have you had any experience with Spec's customer suport??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
they replied to my email about 10 mins after i sent it. They sending me a another free alignment tool

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, I have heard nothing but great things about Spec's service. I'm really leaning towards them.

Does anyone else have any experience with them?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Spec's Stage 5 and Exedy's setup both come with their own flywheel.

Nick, if you're interested in experimenting, Ray @ McNews has a new line of clutches called Competition. The owner is an old designer for Clutch Master. I talked to Spec about their Stage 5 setup and they said it was not driver friendly at all. You can give Spec a call and they can make you a custom clutch setup for pretty much the same price as anything else.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Spec's Stage 5 and Exedy's setup both come with their own flywheel.

Nick, if you're interested in experimenting, Ray @ McNews has a new line of clutches called Competition. The owner is an old designer for Clutch Master. I talked to Spec about their Stage 5 setup and they said it was not driver friendly at all. You can give Spec a call and they can make you a custom clutch setup for pretty much the same price as anything else.
what, the stg 5 is very driver friendly. Also it does not come with a custom plate or flywheel. best to keep your mouth closed if you dont know the correct info.

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I called up Competition Clutch and spoke to Chris.

He told me he makes a good clutch for the 200-350whp range, but it will not hold up to the power I want to make. He aslo told me (after previously working for CM) that a CM stage 4 will surely not hold up eather.

So, I have definatly ruled out CM and Comp Clutch. I'm going to try Clutch Net who Steven refered someone to, and also give Ray @ McNews a call and pick his brain about the Exedy.

Does anyone know anything about the AP Racing clutch?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts