Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.

This issue started after I installed my Turbocharger.

At first. I thought it was due to my BOV venting to the atmosphere, that would cause my car to stall (at times), or have a really bad idle.

So I vented it back into the intake, same problem. So, I said f' it, and decided to live with it.

Now, I remove the turbocharger kit, and the problem STILL persists. All vacum lines are perfectly fine, no leaks, everything is FLAWLESSLY setup.

I take it to the dealership, they told me since I had a breather (That is all I left on that wasn't "stock), that it is messing up the flow of Metered Air. So, I'm thinking "What are they smoking?" - But, I said hell, and removed the breather and ran the line into the stock box. Um, the problem was fixed for 5 miles, thinking everything is fine, the problem came back.

I returned to the dealership and claimed it under warranty, and told them the same problem is there. So, I get a call, they tell me my "MAF" wireing harness has been modified. I said, "Oooh ok", they told me that is the problem.

Is it possible when we extended my MAF for the turbocharger setup, that it messed the main wiring harness up or something of that nature? I have no check engine light, nothing strange but the idle, and stalling at stops.

Otherwise the car seems perfectly fine.

Please let me know if the extension wires on the MAF could be the problem.

My apologies if this is the wrong place to post this topic.

[ 12-24-2002, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: damius ]

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Are you running the stock MAF

have you checked to see how active the 1st 02 is ,,As the 02`s start to go bad they slow down this some time causes idle problems

do you have a cheater in the 2nd 02

tom

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm using the stock MAF and stock injectors right now, stock motor.

I had a check engine light at one point that I reset and never came back. The error code was 1132 (02 Running Rich), this was after I removed the turbo.

I have no idea how active the 02 is at the moment. How do I check? I get pretty good gas mileage.

This is exactly what happens, please let me know if this helps more.

The car will idle at the red line, then drop to the blue line. Almost everytime I stop. Here's an example.

I start the car up, warm it up. Drive for one mile. I get to a light, I put it in neutral, and cruise to the light, the car will drop to the red, then SLOWLY drop down to the blue, and then the car shakes REALLY hard. Sometimes it will stall, but I give it gas 99% of the time, so I don't.

Couldn't I fix this by bumping up my idle rpm? To maybe 1000 RPMs? or 1100 RPMS.

[ 12-24-2002, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: damius ]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same problem in really cold weather and my car is completely stock. I haven't done any modifications yet. I only have 1200 miles on my car. It is still brand new.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by scoots:
I am having the same problem in really cold weather and my car is completely stock. I haven't done any modifications yet. I only have 1200 miles on my car. It is still brand new.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wouldn't worry about it, it might be your DPSE(sp?) sensor or whatever. That works with your EGR.

It's a known problem, but you should get an engine code for it.

My engine has been through hell and back, and has no problems but this one minor idle issue. I couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
501 Posts
when you "lengthened" the wireing harness for the MAF, the current changed to the sensor(the resistance of the added length of wire). since the ecu reads the amount of resistance that the sensor produces, the ecu is getting the wrong information. hence no CEL.

you could remove the extra length of wire and solder the connections back, but the resistance may not be back to stock, but it will be awefully close.

i had this same problem with my talon tsi, after modding it( that when i got schooled in auto-electronics the expensive way: read new ecu
)

hope this helps you out, John

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fixed the problem atleast.

Sigh, I put the ego sensors in backwards, ie. 02s mixed up.

Me.

Sorry. But thanks for all the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts