Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1984 there was this totally awesome game on the Commodore 64 called Elite I didn't actually play the game till 1987 (on a PC). It was, in my mind a revolutionary game at the time. And in a way it was with it's broad scope and open universe. And also one of the hardest damn games I had ever played. And also had a strong influence on the abundance of games that would follow in the late 80's all the way up to today. The heyday of the space sim/space combat game was the 1990's. From 1990 to 1999 we saw some truly epic games released. Most were PC only, but some like the early Wing Commander games were multi platform.

I could go on and on about the totally awesome games that came out, but I wont. I need to get to the subject matter I'm leading up to.

Elite: Dangerous and Chris Roberts' Star Citizen

So is this the return of the space sim? I sure hope so.

To be honest, the space sim never really went away. For years a little German company called Egosoft has been turning out a pretty decent product called the X Universe. Starting with a game called X: Beyond the Frontier in 1999. Which was in the dying days of the epic space sagas. They've continued the universe with other games right up to today including (according to rumours) a new game in the X universe.

I'm looking forward to the release of both games. Both are kick starters and neither has a "cheap" entry fee. But I, like tens of thousands of others are willing to pay the entry fees. Of the two, I think that Star Citizen is going to be the big dog, partially due to the budget available. 48 million vs. Elites 5.1 million. But both look promising.

And this leads to another topic. Kick Starters for gaming. Honestly, I think it's a brilliant idea. No more getting stuck with the watered down bull**** that we've been getting from the big evil developers like Electronic *******s, Ubisoft and other similar tyrants. Let the fans pay for what the fans want, not the bland "one size fits all" that we've been getting over the last few years.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Kick started gaming is an awesome idea. I honestly want to and expect to see more of it. As long as it side steps the corporate demands leading to a craptastic product/sequel I am all for it.

But on the topic of Space fighting sims, I have no real memories of any games to cross my screen that were remotely close to what you guys had on PC. The best I have ever played on console was Atari 2600's Star Raiders. The odd thing is, I have fond memories of that game. It was ridiculously tough, and for a 2600 game, it actually has some progression. Since I was tethered to console gaming, I never expierenced Space combat sim's, but I am willing to try them out when the time arises.

I did see a blurb or two about Star Citizen on IGN, but I didn't read it. I guess its a good enough reason to look into the game.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Been following Star Citizen off and on with some guys from my guild. Still haven't gotten to the point of donating/buying a ship yet though. The idea of it is freakin' awesome! Hopefully execution is the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts