Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMPORTANT: SUPPORT A GAS WAR!! *DO NOT* BUY GAS AT EXXON OR AMOCO!! In doing so, Exxon and Amoco will drop their prices, so will the competition, and in due time, we will save $$! SUPPORT THE GAS WAR EFFORT!!

Russ

[ 04-20-2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: 02 Focus SVT ]

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Anyone who thinks that by not buying gas at a particular gas station, or at all on a particular day will affect prices, you're sorely mistaken.

The laws of supply and demand 0wn j00!

The demand is for gasoline... not for "Exxon-brand gas" The prices are dependant on the entire commodity market, not on the individual gas station.

Relax... the prices will go back down.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok buying gas...ixnay..I need to drive a co. vehicle.

Picking a company forces them to be competitive to regain customers...they become cheaper...the competition then goes cheaper. Hence...prices go back down.

Im kinda sick and tired of gas companies whoring us everytime anything happens.

Im gonna make my car run off poop. I eat enough taco bell to circle earth nine times.

Russ

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
who has the link disproving this?

ahem. urban legend? bunk?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
in economic terms, the gasoline market is similar to farming in that it is one of "perfect competition." its not entirely perfect, but its close. what this means is that each business doesn't have much power in pricing. therefore, not buying one brand of gas will have no effect on that company's prices and will especially have no effect on anyone else's prices.
EVEN if this could work, there is no way you could muster up enough people to make it happen. think of all the gas that's bought in a day...and then think if 1000 people from FJ boycott that brand...its not even going to make a BB sized dent.

[ 04-19-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: FocusOnPunk ]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Heh, I just paid 1.49 for 87 a couple of days ago. I havent seen it that low for about 7 months.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Gas is not expensive. Get over it. Even if we are paying 2.00 a gallon, which noone but the communist state of california are paying...its still cheaper than anywhere else in the world. If you can't afford a few cents more a gallon, than maybe you ought to consider whether or not you NEED a car at all. I'm a "poor college student" and gas isnt hitting my pocket hard enough to warrant actually picking specific gas stations. Find another cause.

[ 04-19-2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: TbirdJayC ]

·
Registered
410 Posts
People forget that prior to that whole 89cents a gallon thing that we had a few years ago, gas was 1.45 or so for premium (east coast).

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Gas $ already went WAY down hear Regular gas (87) can be had for $1.69 now vs. $2.05 a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Oil companies profit heavily on the uninformed consumer (which is about 95% of all the day-to-day gas buyers in the world)

Gasoline is gasoline...

The regular (87) octane all comes out of the same pipe no matter which station you purchase it from.

Cheaper gas generally has 10% ethanol in it except for states that mandate the ethanol content (I think Arizone, and maybe the summer blends in California maybe) which have to be stated clearly on the pump that the gasoline contains ethanol (Federal law).

Ethanol is cheaper, burns cleaner, is more environmentally friendly, but has an octane lowering effect so it dilutes the overall "power" of gasoline (thus it's general unpopularity -- you don't go as far as you could on 100% gasoline)

All gas stations obtain their gas from suppliers which are just basically terminals. These terminals suck gas out of the exact same pipeline. There are only 3 or 4 major gasoline pipeline routes in the US. (NE corridor being the longest route from the Texas Gulfcoast up to the New England states)

It is true that these terminals will add certain additives of the brands own individual formulation, but in the case of regular gasoline, you could run what was coming straight out of the pipe and never notice a difference.

Premium gas is handled differently. If you want to be a brand loyalist, you can be, but only if you buy higher quality gas than "regular"

Cheap gas also tends to get a bad rap in that it only takes one bad retailer to not seal his tanks properly and get water in the tank to make a certain brand have a bad reputation.

"How can they sell gas for $0.10 cheaper than the station across the street is? There must be something worng with the gas."

They're not selling it cheaper... The other company is selling it for more profit and has convinced you that it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts