Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wondering if anyone can suggest a good set of tools, brand name etc. I was told I’ll be needing my own set of tools, and i don’t want to buy anything that will make my job harder and I definitely don’t want the tools to break on me after a year.

Is Snap-on the best there is?? its also very expensive.

any suggestions comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'd go with Snap-On or Craftsman.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You will find that the Craftsman tools are a great value. They cost less than Snap-on and are very durable. However, I have noticed that Sears does not offer near the automotive tools it once did.

Snap-on will have more tools available once you get beyond the basic stuff. Also, you will find that Snap-on, Mac, etc will have the new automotive stuff long before Sears will.

I would see if one of the Tool vendors would offer a special deal to a student.

I have both brands and like them both.

Tony D
Former Snap-On junkie.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well I've got lots of Mastercraft (Canadian craftsman) they have a lifetime warranty so if you brake a socket you just go to the service desk at the store and they give you another on the spot. I just started buying Snap-on tools they are 20% more expensive, but I'm buying air tools at the moment and I only want to buy them once.

I would ask the school they probably have a deal with someone that would get you a student discount. If not make a few calls and plead the poor student story and see if you can get any deals from stores or manufactures. An hours worth of calls could save you lots of money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just get a basic set to begin with. Make sure you have a breaker bar, basic air tools (probably only need a impact gun to begin with but dont forget the impact sockets), mallet and a ball pin hammer and punches. Unless you have the hookups, you'll be stuck at the lube rack for a while so make sure you have a variety of oil filter wrenches. Belive me one wont work, you'll need a collection. If you can only afford one, make sure you buy oil filter pliers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Craftsman have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

We used and abused them when I lived on a farm and got them cheerfully replace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for the great responce guys :)i'll be shoping for tools next weak. and i'll see what kind of deal snap-on can get me, if it gets too expansive, i'll go with mastercraft.

Thanx

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
you can go with mac and matco. i sujest buing a basic kit from sears like 200 peice or so. then get a used inpact gun to start with and some sockets. check flea markets for the best deals. impact sockets go fast. check your news papers clasifides for toll sets for sale. also check garge sales. thats the best way to get started

1 - 8 of 8 Posts