1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have it installed on my 05 ZX3.
I had the Marcy CAI and liked it but it rains up here a lot and made me paraniod of hydrolock.
The Marcy CAI felt like it had a little more power than the Steeda but now I don't have to spot check my filter after driving in the rain.

The Filter sits really close to the back of the headlight though, which may be an issue for 03-04 2.3L.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I hate to get too technical, but the Steeda isn't a CAI. It sucks up engine bay air, which is fairly warm.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Does anyone thing adding air ducting from the lower grill up to the filter on the Steeda would be sufficient to make up the difference in hp from a CAI?

·
Registered
883 Posts
CAI means Cold Air Intake or Cool Air Intake.
It's now a marketing term. Whereas in the past, CAI meant a long tube intake with the filter located near the bumper.

Just like the Volant for the Zetec is marketed as a CAI.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Just like the Volant for the Zetec is marketed as a CAI.
The Volant has an airbox around its filter, with ducting from the lower portion of the car.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alot of the CAI available for alot of cars are technically not CAI's. If you want to get technical. Anytime you can have an open filter element it will produce better engine performance because of the volume of air being sucked in. At speed the air being sucked into the steeda will not be as warm as you might think. Like i said most of the cai availabe have an open filter element right next to the motor.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Like Z63R said/linked....

I'm running this intake too.
I love it. Pulls harder in the higher RPMs for sure!

Have yet to test it, but if you took your car to the track....pop out the driver headlight and you'd have a VERY sweet ram air setup

The CAI might make 2-3 hp more, but it's not gonna be something noticable to you.
It'd just be a mind game since you would know the CAI would make more power than the Steeda (from advertised dyno gains) that you would just wanna believe it "feels" faster
(since only a dyno would really show it)

But if you're looking for a nice looking intake that'll add some gains & not have to worry about water....go with the Steeda

And if you don't already have an exhaust....pair up an intake & exhaust and you'll be VERY happy with those gains

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Someone needs to talk Steeda into making an oversized MAF version- possibly with an insert like the F2 or Cossi CAI's. Now THAT would be an awsome product!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing that bothers me about the steeda unit is where it is located behind the headlight. The headlight and hood seams are close maybe allowing water from heavy rain to get through to filter at highway speeds. Not sure obviously.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, microtonal
Did you notice any problems at idle with that intake? Im thinking about changing mine because of that not the steeda intake the bomz racing one. I hate it.

Thats why it has the cover on it, since it sits close to the hood its supposed to help keep most of the rain out.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yeah there's no way that water is gonna get in the Steeda intake...especially while the car is moving.

To begin with....the filter is literally tucked behind the headlight. Then it has the top filter shield AND a shield on the side that isolates it VERY well.

If you think you'd have problems running a Steeda (or a even riskier CAI)...then you probably shouldn't buy an intake for your car at all

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
How is it ridiculous? If you're worried about hydrolock with a short ram, you really shouldn't put an intake on your car at all.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
snobrdrdans sedan......your last sentence is rediculous!

I didn't think it was ridiculous.

It is quite true when you think about it.

If one's gonna get all constipated while worrying about this stuff, or must operate one's car in a perpetual monsoon, one would be better off leaving one's car completely stock.

(^^^Edited for generality, as it was first intended.^^^)

I think that was his point.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
I need a laxative.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Read my post again ladies. Obviously i have no experience with the steeda so i posed a question for people who have seen/used the kit to elaborate. Snob sedan answered it in the first part of his post.
Z63r ...I guess you are the all knowing and never had a question about a part or a mod? Read my post and you will see the only one getting excited is you!

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Read my post and you will see the only one getting excited is you!
I dunno, you seem to be getting pretty excited.

Asking for advice and then insulting the people who advise you isn't a very good way to make friends.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts