Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steeda \"Project Shadow\" Focus Timeslip.

In recent testing at Moroso Motorsports Park our "Project Shadow" Focus ran a 14.81 @ 92.67mph

The Project Shadow Focus is completely stock with the exception of larger injectors, alternate MAF, the vortech kit (of course) and a Steeda Cat-back exhaust kit. With more modifications like larger throttle body, cam gears, etc... you should see some good power gains.

Check out Steedafocus.com later this week for a full write up and more timeslips from recent testing.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Re: Steeda \"Project Shadow\" Focus Timeslip.

Somebody's going to ask sooner or later... Are you guys using a chip (or something else) to adjust timining? You know that when you install a MAF sensor that's calibrated for larger injectors you up the timing... Blah, blah, blah...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Somebody's going to ask sooner or later... Are you guys using a chip (or something else) to adjust timining? You know that when you install a MAF sensor that's calibrated for larger injectors you up the timing... Blah, blah, blah...
actually we are working with Cosworth in calibrating the factory PCM (powertrain control module). We are doing this through the FORD/SEMA technology transfer initiative.
Once we are done calibrating the Focus we will send it to Cosworth and Ford for emissions testing and quality control. When it passes all the tests the calibration is certified by Ford and can than be serviced at any Ford dealership.(that is all OBD-II monitors are fully finctional, many chips shutoff or disable these monitors, making it undiagnosable (real word?) at dealers) We still have some time to go before all of the processes to be complete.

But the good note is that once we have a Ford Certified calibration, we can obtain a CARB EO certification number which makes it Street Legal in california, and is recognized by other states.

The calibration is much more advanced and much more comprehesive than a computer chip. It has full control of fuel tables and timing and has adaptive strategy for varying conditions. The drivability over a computer chip is incomparable

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts

So if you guys are going to all that trouble, are you working on your own supercharger kit utilizing a Vortech compressor? Or perhaps a supercharged Steeda Focus available from the dealer with a full warranty? If something like that is the plan, how will Ford's move to all PZEV motors (except in the SVT) for the Focus in CA affect the plan? Glad to hear that you guys are working on it any which way.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts

that's scary...I was actually gonna post asking if they knew if Steeda would do custom PCM tunes for customers since i know they can directly tune the EEC-V.

Everyone loves the q400, I'd like to see how this little guy performs.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

QUOTE,The calibration is much more advanced and much more comprehesive than a computer chip. It has full control of fuel tables and timing and has adaptive strategy for varying conditions. The drivability over a computer chip is incomparable

Where do you guys get this crap from this is the BIGGEST bunch of crap that i have seen a large company come up with sence i have been on here ,,We have the same controle over the ECU that you will have doing it in the ECU we just do it with a chip to be able to do up to 4 settings as for the driveability being any diff. with a chip than it is doing a flash is just BS

It will all come down to the tuner and how well he does his job as to how well it idles and how safe the tune is it will have NOTHING to do with how you go by tuning it ,chip,flash,pectel

QUOTE,(adaptive strategy)
The forus ECU all ready has this (learning mode)

Tom

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

Another thing i do not know of ANY chip that turns off the OBD-2 systems ,We can and only do this if it is requested by the customer,,Chips are as real world as tuning gets

Tom

·
Registered
208 Posts

Another thing i do not know of ANY chip that turns off the OBD-2 systems ,We can and only do this if it is requested by the customer,,Chips are as real world as tuning gets
Tom
Having worked with several chip companies, we are aware of several that disable the service engine light. The Steeda tune leaves it fully functional.

I think what Josh (steeda news) was getting at is that when the Steeda tune is released through Ford/SEMA technology initiative it has the blessing of Ford corporate. It can be scanned "as is" at any Dealer, without having to remove the chip to protect yourself. The program has been very successful with the Mustang.

Anyway, the thing that excites me was the performance right out of the box. I got to drive it at the track.
This was the first trip to the track, with street tires, and everything about the engine is stock except the Vortech and Steeda tune. I think there is a lot more potential here, especially once we add some of the other performance parts we've been testing on our other Focus'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

So if you guys are going to all that trouble, are you working on your own supercharger kit utilizing a Vortech compressor? Or perhaps a supercharged Steeda Focus available from the dealer with a full warranty? If something like that is the plan, how will Ford's move to all PZEV motors (except in the SVT) for the Focus in CA affect the plan? Glad to hear that you guys are working on it any which way.
we will be offering a Vortech Kit but with our components to upgrade parts of the Fuel System.

This kit will only work with Zetec powered Foci, which there are quite a few. We have a PZEV on the way at which point we will talk to Vortech about their Supercharger Kit and possibly begin work on one.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

Ford chip,uni-chip,superchip,diablo chip,jet chips,autologic chip none turn off the CEL or the OBD-2 unless asked by customer what chip company turn them off automaticly

With our chip or most any others chips in place it can be read by ford under real world conditions

Chips dont void warranties turbos/blowers will even if it is ok by ford it still will void warranties so why would being able to not have to take a chip out make a Diff.

Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts

In the pictures of Project Shadow the Power Cooler that is shown on Vortech's web site isnt on the engine. Is that going to be standard in the kit or just optional?

·
Registered
128 Posts

From being a previous mustand owner, I have a little insight into this issue. Steeda has been around for a long time and is supported by Ford. People can order their Focus, Mustang, Lightning, etc from Steeda through most Ford dealers and it will be covered by the full Ford warranty. It's kind of like getting a Saleen or Roush. It's true that some dealers may have issues if not installed by Steeda themselves, but many around Seattle are fine with it. I think the point is Steeda's combo is most likely going to be warrantied through Ford. After all, Roush and Saleen supercharged cars come will full manufacturer warranties even though they are supercharged oustide the factory. You just have to have Ford's "approval"...

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts

Tom...
No one is questioning yours or any other chips on here. All is well with those chips...they are just doing it THRU ford which is a huge step forward for the focus.

·
Registered
208 Posts

In the pictures of Project Shadow the Power Cooler that is shown on Vortech's web site isn’t on the engine. Is that going to be standard in the kit or just optional?
The car made the same power with or without the cooler, which is typical of what we have found on several other Vortech powered vehicles at "stock" boost levels. Without the cooler the packaging is much cleaner and the kit would be less expensive. We are still working out the details. The final configuration hasn't been determined yet.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

Very cool Steeda!
This Ford/SEMA thing sounds like a dream come true.

Tom- Please don't kill this thread with your reasoning for the way you do things. It gets old. Steeda, Vortech, Wolff, JR and others don't troll for your threads and then start trying to pick fights. Please give them the same courtesy.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts

Very cool Steeda!
This Ford/SEMA thing sounds like a dream come true.

Tom- Please don't kill this thread with your reasoning for the way you do things. It gets old. Steeda, Vortech, Wolff, JR and others don't troll for your threads and then start trying to pick fights. Please give them the same courtesy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.