Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the test drive immediately following installation of my new Steeda SVT Short Shifter. One word: Awesome. I just have a pair of cautionary bits:

1. I had to use channel locks to get the shift knob off. Use something VERY thick to cover the shift knob itself and the silver plastic piece below it if you do this also. We didn't know this, and thus the leather on the knob and the shiny finish on the plastic thing got torn up. Not too bad, but enuff to make me cringe everytime I see it. We cut up an old spare tire cover off the back of a Jeep to protect the leather and plastic and that worked a little better.

2. Make very sure that after you drop the new shifter in, that the main cable is securely snapped on the bottom ball.
We thought mine was seated properly, but luckily before we went any farther I kinda ran through the pattern. When I tried for reverse, the cable piece was not connected right and popped right off. Good thing to happen in the garage, but not on the road. The instructions want you to use a channel lock, but mine was too large; we had to kinda force it with a screwdriver and a spark plug socket. It worked really well. We just set the socket inbetween the cable piece and the wall of the floor mounted shifter assembly, then used a screwdriver to force the shifter ball into the cable mount.

Otherwise the install was quite easy. Well, other than we couldn't seem to get the powerpoint to disconnect. No biggie there, we just kinda set the console to the side and worked around it. And now, after driving it, I can say that it is worth every red cent.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Thanks for the pointers... hopefully the GB happens and I can get my hands on one of these suckers. Otherwise I'll be forking out the $$ for one anyways

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
FYI about the knob...

pull the shifter boot up and there are flat spots on it that you use an open ended wrench or adjustable wrench on to get the knob off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: FYI about the knob...

pull the shifter boot up and there are flat spots on it that you use an open ended wrench or adjustable wrench on to get the knob off.
Was half a second away from saying the same thing

·
Registered
106 Posts

It's a wonderful shifter. I have had mine in for about 3 months now. I could go into detail and go on about my horror story of an installtion, between stripping bolts and breaking the heads off them and all, but that is a different story, reserved for a different time.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Does the Steeda Shifter make the actual stalk shorter? I like mine right where it is, I'm kinda tall so I don't want to have to bend down to shift..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Does the Steeda Shifter make the actual stalk shorter? I like mine right where it is, I'm kinda tall so I don't want to have to bend down to shift..
yes, its shorter

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

yes, its shorter
like he said, it is shorter, but not by a lot. I think it was like 1.5" shorter, but then they put a spacer in and that is like .5" so overall it is about 1" shorter. Something like that anyway! It isn't drastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts