Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running these on an SVT or a ZX3 with SVT parts??? If not, if any one has any informatuion on these I;m really interested, as well as where to get them and driving impressions. As far as I know Steeda has the largest rear sway on the market and I;m looking for a little more of a rear end baised handling. Would I need to install a larger front (they whole kit) to subdue some of that rear bias that would come with such a huge bar? Thanks...

CCC

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
I would most definatly recommend on getting a front bar. People talk about tail happy it can get with a just a rear Eibach bar. The Steeda is what, 28mm?

Also, I'd be careful about the rear control arms. I wonder how well they would hold up to this bar...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I'd be careful about the rear control arms. I wonder how well they would hold up to this bar...
That stiff, huh???

CCC

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I will have my adjustable 24mm ready for sale soon--look for a FJ group buy or something as it has been cleared by the BIG guy, Ron

The Steeda is like 28.6mm--I have some concerns at 24mm with the rear LCA's--not to mention 25mm on the Eibach bar. That Steeda bar is over-the-top-big.

I am gonna work on bringing to market a 22.4mm (7/8") 3-way front bar as well--stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Thanks...

CCC

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Steeda is like 28.6mm--I have some concerns at 24mm with the rear LCA's--not to mention 25mm on the Eibach bar. That Steeda bar is over-the-top-big.
We tried a 7/8 and 1" rear bar at the racetrack before settling on the 1-1/8 inch bar that we use now. The car turns faster lap times with the 1 1/8 bar.

A lot depends on the rest of your combination. Our spring rates are not as high as some of the kits I have seen (H&R race springs come to mind), so the stiff rear bar may work better with our springs than someone with, say, 375 lb rear springs.

Before upgrading the rear swaybar, in our racecar one of the biggest limiting factors was understeer and lack of traction coming out of corners. We used to spin the inside tire around turn 10 at Moroso and turn 4 at Homestead. The 1-1/8 rear swaybar solved the traction problems and improved segment times through other parts of the track as well.

Granted, the bar may make the car a little too squirrelly for an inexperienced driver on the street, but it is definitely not overkill on the racetrack. The fastest front wheel drive racecars usually have such a stiff rear bar that they corner on three wheels with the inside rear wheel hanging in the air. Our rear bar is not quite that stiff, and our racecar still corners on 4 wheels, but that is the direction to go if you want to be fastest around the racetrack.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
tech-
what rear spring rate do you run with the big rear bar?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We tried a 7/8 and 1" rear bar at the racetrack before settling on the 1-1/8 inch bar that we use now. The car turns faster lap times with the 1 1/8 bar.

A lot depends on the rest of your combination. Our spring rates are not as high as some of the kits I have seen (H&R race springs come to mind), so the stiff rear bar may work better with our springs than someone with, say, 375 lb rear springs.

Before upgrading the rear swaybar, in our racecar one of the biggest limiting factors was understeer and lack of traction coming out of corners. We used to spin the inside tire around turn 10 at Moroso and turn 4 at Homestead. The 1-1/8 rear swaybar solved the traction problems and improved segment times through other parts of the track as well.

Granted, the bar may make the car a little too squirrelly for an inexperienced driver on the street, but it is definitely not overkill on the racetrack. The fastest front wheel drive racecars usually have such a stiff rear bar that they corner on three wheels with the inside rear wheel hanging in the air. Our rear bar is not quite that stiff, and our racecar still corners on 4 wheels, but that is the direction to go if you want to be fastest around the racetrack.
Now that doesn't actually mean that it will have the same driving characteristics on an SVT does it? I'd be quite interested to know. Also...wouldn't putting a pretty large front bar also effectivly cancel a few of the millimeters of the rear by inducing a more understeery front with a pretty sketchy rear?

CCC

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also...wouldn't putting a pretty large front bar also effectivly cancel a few of the millimeters of the rear by inducing a more understeery front with a pretty sketchy rear?
CCC
In a word, Yes. We are toying with the idea of a 24mm front bar to be a better match for the 1-1/8 rear bar on the street, but haven't had time to test a prototype yet.

Some of the same effect could be accomplished with stiffer springs and relatively softer bars, but in my opinion the ride quality suffers more from the stiff springs than it does from the stiff swaybars.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I will have my adjustable 24mm ready for sale soon--look for a FJ group buy or something as it has been cleared by the BIG guy, Ron

I am gonna work on bringing to market a 22.4mm (7/8") 3-way front bar as well--stay tuned.
that's the bar I am waiting on. let us know when it's ready.

·
Registered
631 Posts
tech-
what rear spring rate do you run with the big rear bar?
We are running Steeda sport springs. 135-160lb front, 190-280lb rear, with a 23mm front swaybar.
Techguy - How much of a drop do the Steeda springs provide? I take it that they are progressive springs, because of the large spring rate range?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Techguy - How much of a drop do the Steeda springs provide? I take it that they are progressive springs, because of the large spring rate range?
Drop is approx 1.5 inches. Yes they are progressive.

(I see from your sig. that you are looking for something stiffer.)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Drop is approx 1.5 inches. Yes they are progressive.

(I see from your sig. that you are looking for something stiffer.)
Thanks techguy and Yes I am looking for stiffer springs or a set of stiffer rear springs that will restore the rear ward spring bias. I actually like the my car to be a little tail happy, dunno but it just feel better to me on the track where I could get myself into & out of trouble a lot easier. Does that make sense?

What shocks do you guys use on your yellow Focus/race car?
Are the progressive rear springs hard to interrupt on the track?

ENZI

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i run a 25 mm on rear w/stock 21mm on front. car is great on track. absolutely no push in fast corners and rotates well but stays planted. currently using intrax w/275 to 325 rear 175 to 225 front. am switching to spax coilovers next week and will play with various rear springs. will start w/225 up front and try up to 400 rear. (coilovers are replacing spax adjustables. and goldlines, intrax and spax will be up for sale soon.)

·
Registered
874 Posts
There was a post on big bars at Corner-carvers.com and one of the very experienced members there stated that the big bar- soft spring theory of suspension setup has a big problem, and that is that you lose the independence of the suspension. The action of one side of the car has a negative reaction to the other side.

Here is a quote from Jack Hidley of Maximum Motorsports:

"You'd be better off by running stiffer springs than using stiffer swaybars. The stiffer swaybars will reduce the independence of the suspension. This will hurt forward grip when accelerating off of corners and front wheel grip when braking for them. If you do decide to use stiffer swaybars, try running a stiffer rear bar only. Ford always puts too much front swaybar stiffness in their cars."

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Its a bad idea to put a big rear bar on an otherwise stock Focus anyhow--due to the LCA concerns. Those concerns are reduced, but not eliminated, with the addition of stiffer springs and shocks, as less of the deflection is transferred into the bar itself and then to the LCA via the endlink.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its a bad idea to put a big rear bar on an otherwise stock Focus anyhow--due to the LCA concerns. Those concerns are reduced, but not eliminated, with the addition of stiffer springs and shocks, as less of the deflection is transferred into the bar itself and then to the LCA via the endlink.
LCA??? I'm still trying to figure out what that is. Thanks..

CCC

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Lower Control Arm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts