Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my spec stg 3 clutch installed recently(is the tranny supposed to make so much noise at idle?spinning & clanking?) and think that it may have cause my rack to start leaking.I think the lower tranny mount bolt is hitting the rack when traveling over bumps causeing it to fail either that or the clutch installer screwd it, so i need a steering rack,my rack is leaking to the point that the boot is being filled up, i have kept a watchful eye on the PSF level so i don't think the pump needs replacing, but i would like to replace the seal on the pump(would that prevent anything?) so i searched and found https://www.1stfordparts.com/ a rack for 199. I also found that people have gotten them for less than 50bucks, i don't need the inner tie rods or anything but the rack with the gear. i don't know where its leaking from exactly but a replacement of all of that would insure it will not leak correct? [email protected]!!!!!!!1

EDIT:i have the azf22's pulled my plug wires and plugs, the whole area inside the valve cover is yellowish, the plug wires have a yellowish powder on them, the tops of the plugs are rusted, the entire plug thats outside of the cylinder is rusted, but the plugs look fine no whiteness or blackness

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Re: clutch/steering rack leaking question

If you have a lightweight flywheel, you will hear alot of noise. If its the stock flywheel, its probablly gear rollover. they may not have used the right fluid. That will cause some good tractor tranny noise.

as far as the dogbone mount bolt hitting anything, I dont see how.
It could be a torn PS hose, especially where it goes from hard line to soft hose. Make sure to track down the leak before you go spending money on a new rack.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: clutch/steering rack leaking question

well today i took a look up under and again both boots were filled with PSF. there doesn;t seem to be any leaks on the top of the rack just the two ends. When turning the wheel i got the gurgling? with fluid still in the resivoir. on the drivers side i can visible see the gear, is that normal? and y would PSF be in the boot?maybe the air hose to the other boot. speaking of that the passenger side is the worst by far but again when someone turned the wheel i saw no draining, it just looks like its a slow steady drain.and what leads me to believe the dogbone screw is hitting my rack is every time i go over anything i hear something clang, gonna recheck all the bolts maybe the clutch installer missed something, cause he got my clutch bleed nipple!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts