Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
What do you mean by "oversensitive"? My 2002 SVTF is rock-steady at speeds well beyond the posted freeway speeds; if you don't do 75-80 mph around here you're bound to get run-over by an Excursion or Suburban or 18-wheeler! Seriously, if you think something doesn't feel right then go to the dealer and get them to check all the alignment parameters and make sure it's all to spec.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My highway speeds range from 55 to 80 miles per hour. It just feel LOOSE, as if i don't have control over the car in the straight line. My second car is Civic SI and it is rock steady at the same speeds. Frankly that is the one thing I never liked about Focus, that and the SURGING ENGINE - that, "knock on the wood," was addressed by the new ECU update.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
SVT 02,

When ur car is just stopped at a light or something turn the wheel in both directions. When u go to change directions if u get a clunk sound at all or feel a clunk than take it into the dealer imediately. I had my entire rack and pinion replaced and i had the same problem ur having.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
887 Posts
is your tire pressure to low?

Mine feels rock solid at highway speeds.

Last July I drove 90+ mph for over 60 miles on the Kansas Turnpike and was amazed at how stable the car felt at that speed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If this occurs on every road, check your tire pressures. On some sections of grooved roads, my Focus follows the grooves cut in the concrete and it's a bit annoying.

If the tire pressures are OK and it's not the grooves in the road, have the alignment checked. If that's within spec, there may be a mechanical problem or something loose. If there aren't any problems found, you can have the caster adjusted so that it isn't as sensitive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also, you might check your tire balancing and see that all of your wheels are still round. I had this feeling too when my tires were slightly unbalanced (right after having them balanced
) and as I approached 75 I really started loosing control.

Louis

·
Registered
887 Posts
jack the front end of the car up on each side and grab a wheel and try to rock it back and forth or side to side - if there is any play or looseness get the wheel bearings checked immediately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts