Ford Focus Forum banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
If I may make a suggestion, it would be to add another resonator farther back in the system. You simply won't believe how loud this car will be with a header, it almost defies logic.

I know that sound is not priority #1 with this exhaust system, I would like to urge you to add another resonator. The Duratec 2.3 is absolutely ear-shattering with a header and an improperly resonated or muffled exhaust behind it.
You were 100% right about this.

Just finished installing my header and the rest of my exhaust. Started it up, and it didn't sound too bad. Then I decided to take it for a drive... wow. Loud is right.

Right now, My system goes like this: Header -> Flex pipe -> Cat -> Resonator -> Turndown

My plan is to add a second resonator or muffler that can be removed for events. I think that should be a little easier on my ears when I'm not competing.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Nice work on the wheels, what color is that? I'm glad youv'e had a good experience with Tom, working with his is like playing roulette. Hopefully your good fortune continues.
Duplicolor "Chrome." I was just planning to use it as a base coat to brighten up the final "gunmetal" coat I'd originally planned to use. After spraying the chrome, I had to leave it. Turned out way better than I would've ever expected.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Just got home from the SCCA Lincoln ProSolo and National Tour. My co-driver (Preston) and myself had a pretty good weekend. Preston was able to take wins at both the Pro and the Tour in my Focus. I had a redlight on a run that would have had me in 2nd at the Pro, but instead ended up in 5th. Managed to hold onto 3rd on both days at the Tour. The car isn't what I would call "dialed in" yet, but it's getting there.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well done, your efforts are certainly showing well.
Thanks! We were happy with the results, but the car definitely has room for improvement. Needs to go lower and stiffer. Pretty sure we're already getting into the bumpstops, and the rear gets a little bouncy when rotating. So shortened and revalved Koni's is on the short list of upgrades, as well as a few other things. We've got 6" springs all around, and they're as low as they can go. So I guess it's time to look at 5" springs. I think I've mentioned before that my biggest complaint about the Focus is the high center of gravity. Seems the lower we go, the better it gets.

· Registered
503 Posts
I have been looking for 5" springs to also,lower the rear of mine racecar, what company do you plan on going with. I have changed spring rate 5 x's in the last year so also wondering what rate you might be using, if of course your ok with a few knowing, if not I understand. Still interested in what brand and where u might be getting the 5" units.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I have been looking for 5" springs to also,lower the rear of mine racecar, what company do you plan on going with. I have changed spring rate 5 x's in the last year so also wondering what rate you might be using, if of course your ok with a few knowing, if not I understand. Still interested in what brand and where u might be getting the 5" units.
Not sure which brand yet. I haven't looked into it much yet, but usually prefer Eibach, Hyperco, or Swift. Sent you a PM about rates.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Finally, some free time to catch up with details on the build. I would say the car is about 90% prepped at this point. Lots of small things still need to be done, as well as some fine tuning. However, most of the major components have been installed and seem to be working fairly well. My co-driver and I have been very happy with our results, but there are still some changes that need to be made to make the car even better.

The suspension is all in, but as I suspected, the Koni's will need to be shortened and revalved to run the ride height and spring rates I'd like too. We'll see how things go, but that will most likely happen in the off-season.

The first two local events were still with the stock exhaust system. I wanted to have the Header, high-flow cat, and cat-back system installed before heading to the Spring Nationals in Lincoln. So I removed all of the old stuff and started the install. The stock exhaust manifold was a pain to remove. The new header went in much more easily. Header is made by F2. I didn't get a flex pipe when I bought it, so I made one. I also decided to add an extra O2 bung after the flex pipe for wideband tuning. After that was the high-flow cat, and then the resonator. My first mock-up had a turn-down after the resonator, (pictured below,) but it was just way too loud. I didn't have time to order in another muffler before leaving for Lincoln, so I decided to make one. I found the old resonator from my Scion TC, and decided it could work well with some modifications. So I cut out a large section and removed the internal baffling. I then modified the baffling and re-installed it in the newly shortened shell. I welded it all up, and then welded a turn-down. I put it on the car, started it up, and noticed a nice improvement in sound and volume. I don't have any pics of the finished muffler, but will try to get one up later.

Some action shots from Spring Nationals in Lincoln, NE

· Raving my tets aft
1,607 Posts
Damn bet you're glad you can weld!

Keep the thread updated! no auto-x for me until July due to nationals being so expensive (and my car technically not Being class legal :lol: )

Can't wait to get my CFM ORP on the SVT and get back racing again!

Got a nice holey gutted HFC on just now sucks power like a mofo!

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
Had a good week with my Focus. Wednesday night, I made a last minute decision to go to the Street-Legal Drags at Brainerd Int'l Raceway. It was my first time drag racing, but I felt like it went pretty well. Towards the end of the event, I heard my name over the loudspeaker. Turned out they were having a shootout for the the people with the top 8 reaction times from earlier in the night. Was surprised I'd made it in, as I hadn't been paying very close attention to my RT's. Again to my surprise, I ended up winning the shootout with a .003 RT on my last pass. Pretty cool, but totally unexpected! Best pass was a 15.160 @ 90.6 mph with a 2.2 60ft. I think the car should be in the high 14's, but shifter issues, fouled spark plugs, street tires, and autocross prep (lots of negative camber) make it a little more challenging. Also, I don't think I'm making quite as much power I should be yet. Planning to dyno-tune soon.

Time slip and video from my best pass...

On Saturday, I went back to Brainerd for the MAP Proving Grounds event and took 1st in class at the autocross.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying my Focus.

· Registered
153 Posts
On Saturday, I went back to Brainerd for the MAP Proving Grounds event and took 1st in class at the autocross.

Needless to say, I'm enjoying my Focus.
Nice job man! I considered going up for this and autocrossing, clearly wouldn't have been worth it with you there haha

· Registered
4 Posts
Mr Justin, I finally got a chance to completely read through your build thread and it was both fun and informative. Any updates on the build? I need to ask you a favor and plop my ass down in your FX1 Pro seat at the Wilmington Tour next weekend to make sure it fits if that would be alright...

See you next weekend,
Adam D

Driver's seat showed up the other day. It's a 16-pound Corbeau FX1 Pro. I'm really impressed with the materials and construction. For half the price of my old Sparco Evo2, it's every bit as nice and pretty comfortable. Now I just need to build a 9-pound bracket/slider assembly. I've had a difficult time finding the weight of the stock seat and bracket assembly, but I'm estimating a weight savings of 15-25 pounds with the new set up.

· Registered
4 Posts
Mr Justin, I finally got a chance to go through your build thread, it was both fun and informative to read. I need to ask you a favor, as you know I'm interested in the Corbeau FX1 Pro seat but no one around here seems to have one to test fit. If you don't mind I'd like to plop down into yours for a minute at Wilmington this weekend to make sure it fits.

See you soon,
Adam D

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Mr Justin, I finally got a chance to go through your build thread, it was both fun and informative to read. I need to ask you a favor, as you know I'm interested in the Corbeau FX1 Pro seat but no one around here seems to have one to test fit. If you don't mind I'd like to plop down into yours for a minute at Wilmington this weekend to make sure it fits.

See you soon,
Adam D
For sure!

I'll need a favor from you though. Preston and I would really like to take 1st and 2nd place. So if you could just go ahead and not try too hard, that'd be great! ;-)

81 - 100 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.