Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Wow, but that just has major driver error written all over it. The speed in the skidpad is not that great and should not cause that much damage UNLESS he tried to correct and throttle out of it. I would have just hit that liner.

·
3,514 Posts
BTW: No skidmarks are visible. The poster also left the license plate number visible, bad doobies! It's another reason why I cover up my plate numbers.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW: No skidmarks are visible. The poster also left the license plate number visible, bad doobies! It's another reason why I cover up my plate numbers.
Why... not everyone can run plates to see where you live
and after that crash...who would want that car... Total

·
3,514 Posts
There have been many cases where insurance companies have used pictures like that to deny coverage.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Insurance companies. Thats why you cover the plates.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Wow, but that just has major driver error written all over it. The speed in the skidpad is not that great and should not cause that much damage UNLESS he tried to correct and throttle out of it. I would have just hit that liner.
From what I've read its totally driver error.

when the lead STi lost it's driver's side front fender lining and launched it into the path of the trailing STi. The driver swerved at pretty much full throttle to avoid the debris but lost control and went straight into a retaining wall at a high rate of speed.
Thats one of those "think about what speed you're doing and what is your best course of action" moments. My answer? HIT THE DEBRIS STRAIGHT ON.

You hit some minor debris and you know your car will have a scrape or broken somethingerather. You jerk the wheel at high speed and good luck determining where you'll end up.

Hopefully the driver and passenger are faring well.....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well update.... copy paste from another forum...

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302836&st=0
from Webdevia
" Drew just posted in the Racing & Competition forum that both are expected to make a full recovery! Yay!

Apparently, the passenger is his girlfriend and both had injuries to their faces.
"i just got back from the streets today. since yesterdays accident, things were a lot different. they tighted up the rules with ride alongs and according to what the track guys said. this is what happened.
he was on the front straight, saw the spoiler, swearved off and dropped 2 wheels. instead of rolling off the track he kept on it, trying to save it. by the time the tires regained traction he was facing the wall. and plowed into it.
i heard he was wearing an open faced helmet too.
I hope all the best. its scary out there."

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Unfortunately it now sounds like a "thought I could save it" event. As opposed to, two feet in and enjoy the dust.
There's certainly no shame in spinning out once in a while.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
That is one reason why I pulled my fender liners out.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Man this really stinks!

IMO, a good rule of thumb is, if you can't save it with very small driver inputs.. DONT TRY. Keeping those wheels straight when off track is the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
...two feet in and enjoy the dust.

There's certainly no shame in spinning out once in a while.
Its my motto! I think anyone whos seen me race knows this. We once said "if you don't go off you're not trying hard enough".

This might be a case of trying too hard, however.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I think it was a case of panic reaction happening before thinking.

Same thing as when folks try to dodge a squirel and end up in a tree at 60+.

I'm just glad they're ok, hopefully this is a good learning oportunity. For them and us.

The most tiring thing for me on a track is the mental alertness required to make that snap decision to just plow debris rather than crash trying to dodge it.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
jinstall mentioned this is why he removed his fender liners. If they're well- secured, they shouldn't come off. What if the car that lost the liner had a tire rubbing? Is this considered neglect?

Also sounds they were racing: "going at it all day" I think is the phrase the poster used. They were more fatigued than they realized, and obviously had not enough skill/experience to 'go at it all day'. Looping it once or twice in a weekend is fine if there's the appropriate spacing that the event director and starter designates.

It's an open track event, guys. Keep the egos in check...

Glad to hear the occupants will recover.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The one thing that gets overlooked in HPDE is the tech inspection. Our events used to require a new inspection every event but have since gone to inspections good for 6 months.

Most everyone gets under their cars to change tires, bleed brakes, etc. But some new cars are good to go from the showroom. No opportunity so see if anything is wanked.

I'm guilty of showing up, tightening the lugnuts checking oil and hitting the track. I -do- perform my own maintenance and noticed my cat and header shields loose while changing my oil.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
The wall that guy hit took some real effort!

[Edit]:
After looking at the pics a bit more, I do have one odd observation. What the heck is that wall doing on the infield??? You guys ever notice Willow has some of the remnants of walls sitting off track.

This wall is 3/4 of the way down the front straight if you are coming from the skidpad. So while this guy made a driving error, from what I can tell, that wall should not be there!

So the question is, did he pull the same move as the bobsy twins, the one which totalled their focus at Big Willow? Or did they drive straight off.

I'm wondering if they avoided the liner by moving to the left, put two wheels off, and in trying to correct had the back end swing and they went straight back across the road into that wall? Or did they just drive straight into it?

But if you guys remember, that's how Jeff and his bro totalled their focus at Big Willow. Two wheels off on the left (where nobody should ever be putting two wheels off, they were just to tired and shouldn't have been out there), then they ended up going full speed head first into the infield.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I'm thinking the wall is there protecting an abandoned well or something of that sort. I can't imagine them leaving walls for no reason.....

1 - 20 of 83 Posts