Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in april I took the wrong turn and totaled my baby. Since then its been nothing but work and money to get it back to where it once was. I've been riding around for a couple months with a black svt bumper on the car and i decided i was tired of that look and well...ill let the pictures talk.

Focus with the black SVT bumper

Torn apart, once again...

After sanding, some bondo, more sanding, and primer

Then some paint...

And after clear coat and reinstallation

The surface on the paint job isn't that great. It looks alright but its not super great like the rest of the car. Im broke so i used spray cans instead of my spray gun. A quart of infra red paint at the shop was $125 a quart. So yea ruled that out fast; however, i got a very good color match out of the cans and the car does look a lot better now. Now i just have to figure out how to get rid of that bumpy texture and get it to shine like the rest of my car. It has a dull look to it. Probably needs more clear coat??? Anyways, tell me what ya think, suggestions, tips, advice...

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Sand it and wax it. I think if you sand it with like 2000 grit sandpaper it helps. Somthing like that may work, a friend of mine wetsanded his. Post a ? in exterior mods, they should help.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Add more clear. Dry. Then wetsand with 2000. You want a milky liquid. Dont sand too much, esp. on the edges. If you see red in the water, youve gone too far! So sand lightly. Then buff. Wax. Done.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Then buff. Wax. Done.
you dont want to wax a new paintjob for 60-90 days. the paint doesn't fully cure until then. a coat of wax will seal the surface so the gases that escape the paint have nowhere to go and it will result in pits.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
yeh...very important, unless u dont mind repainting

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
Then buff. Wax. Done.
you dont want to wax a new paintjob for 60-90 days. the paint doesn't fully cure until then. a coat of wax will seal the surface so the gases that escape the paint have nowhere to go and it will result in pits.

try the clear/colorsand/buffing, it should help get rid of the orange peel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
wet sand with 1200 grit

·
Registered
428 Posts
1200 on spray can clear? Are you serious? He will be through that clear in like two motions. Put more clear on it before you think about sanding it and then use 2000 and take your time. You can sand through good clear coat with 1500 in no time. Be careful and take your time and it will pay off.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
When i hit a deer with a my 88 daytona, I was/am poor so I rattle can painted the hood and fender. Used universal enamel. It was in the fall, and cool. Had a tarp spraybooth in the garage and an electric heater below the hood. Used like 8 cans of paint with wet sanding inbetween each coat. Never clear coated. The amazing thing is that it matched the rest of the car exactly. Demonfire can attest to that. Wet sanding, time, and even coats.
Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the advice guys. Like the title says, its a work in progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts