Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I did a search, but there were no results? Anyone have them? Maybe it is too new...
There are no real magazine times for the car yet. I'd assume mid to low 8's to 60 with a low 16 to high 15 second 1/4 mile at about 84-85 mph. I've done an 1/8 mile at 10.3, but that was hurt by the crappy clutch and non-grippy pirellis that this thing comes with.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'd like to see the same thing. I'm seriously considering trading in the '00, but I'd like more than Dyno claims and possible outputs to go on.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
The reason to purchase a PEZV over a ZTEC (for the enthusiast) would be not stock performance but the gains from simple mods? That seems to be a defining factor in some purchases (at least thats how it sounds).

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
it's a win win situation realy. Better mileage, better stock performance, more torque than the SVT. Responsds well to mods (apparently) and has a strong as hell shortblock. Just a better engine overall. (Granted the zetec is prolly one of the best STOCK motors out there, it just doesn't like mods)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
best stock motors out there BUHAHAHHAHAHA

SR20DE....

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
best stock motors out there BUHAHAHHAHAHA

SR20DE....
Ha, you have to be kidding right? That dynosaur wasn't even able to be CA certified one year it is so inefficent! Sure it is strong, but so is a Ford 300 straight 6.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
dont' get me wrong, i HATE the zetec compared to other lumps i've had the pleasure of owning/driving, but as far as I-4's go...i haven't driven many that are that fun

I dabble in a bit of everythign, so i need a car with a relatively broad powerband and decent Low end torque...Zetec fits the bill.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
dont' get me wrong, i HATE the zetec compared to other lumps i've had the pleasure of owning/driving, but as far as I-4's go...i haven't driven many that are that fun

I dabble in a bit of everythign, so i need a car with a relatively broad powerband and decent Low end torque...Zetec fits the bill.
Some of the best N/A I4's i've driven were hondas, my favorite has always been the 4th gen prelude VTEC. Nice car...
The zetec is pretty behind the times, hell the duratec isn't all that great eihter, but more respectable. 148hp out of a 2.3L isn't what i'd expect for the year 2003. It is an economy car though...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
PZEV is choked off...bad example. I dunno, it MIGHT be wholly subjective but while hondas are pretty refined, definitely better qualityfeeling than my zetec, i don't ENJOY driving them...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
PZEV is choked off...bad example. I dunno, it MIGHT be wholly subjective but while hondas are pretty refined, definitely better qualityfeeling than my zetec, i don't ENJOY driving them...
I dont enjoy dring most civics...that's for sure, but the prelude is a really well set up chassis. That was a really nice car, and n/a cars today are still having trouble catching it's level of performance (except their own RSX). The higher end DOHC VTEC's are pretty much the most refined four cylinders you can get. If buying an older car were an option, I would certainly have gone for a 4th gen prelude over the focus. The focus does have an impressive handling characteristic for an econobox for sure!

·
Registered
76 Posts
lol interesting considering what iv done with 2 grand to this zetec other tuners are dropping 5 into a puny 16 18 or the big 22 twin cam vtec hondas to achieve a comparable amount of performance. 9.09 on slicks in the eigth. arr.. S2000... .. Wha?? where the helld you go ??
Its very interesting to see the big honda engines goto the slaughter down at the eigth the charateristics of most give the car a hard to launch and hard to be spot on comming off the line. Lighter stock fly wheels and vtec gives the torque curve a nasty bend when you run cams/ vtec controller in the hondas. drop high and rip em loose drop low and bog. Fun to drive i guess. As long as you dont mind being behind me
Always interested me how people thing vtec is the end all in a solid torque curve. Its much more about exhaust gas inertial /momentium tuning and intake inertial/ momentum tuning then just changing the cam out. Look at me i have vairable valve timing and now my intake and exhaust tunning is complete [censored] and im still limited on power but my valve train is twice as complex and heavy as a fixed duration/ lift centerline cam. You know if it actaully worked as well as people think.. youd find vetec technology in race cars.. but.. that doesnt seem to be happening. Until then.. Honda engines are still [censored] to me with moderate flowing heads and lots of deck sealing problems.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
lol interesting considering what iv done with 2 grand to this zetec other tuners are dropping 5 into a puny 16 18 or the big 22 twin cam vtec hondas to achieve a comparable amount of performance. 9.09 on slicks in the eigth. arr.. S2000... .. Wha?? where the helld you go ??
Its very interesting to see the big honda engines goto the slaughter down at the eigth the charateristics of most give the car a hard to launch and hard to be spot on comming off the line. Lighter stock fly wheels and vtec gives the torque curve a nasty bend when you run cams/ vtec controller in the hondas. drop high and rip em loose drop low and bog. Fun to drive i guess. As long as you dont mind being behind me
Always interested me how people thing vtec is the end all in a solid torque curve. Its much more about exhaust gas inertial /momentium tuning and intake inertial/ momentum tuning then just changing the cam out. Look at me i have vairable valve timing and now my intake and exhaust tunning is complete [censored] and im still limited on power but my valve train is twice as complex and heavy as a fixed duration/ lift centerline cam. You know if it actaully worked as well as people think.. youd find vetec technology in race cars.. but.. that doesnt seem to be happening. Until then.. Honda engines are still [censored] to me with moderate flowing heads and lots of deck sealing problems.
VTEC is nice because it gives a 4 cylinder a split personality. It makes it so you can have a daily driver that has great pull up top. You dont see it on race cars because they are not built to have streetability.
When you tune any engine the only ways to actually GET power is to increase revs or increase displacement (n/a motors only). Honda knows this, so they build cars that have the screaming top end which is the only place an n/a four banger can make power. I dont know why people diss VTEC. I garuntee if foci had it every bugger in here would be planning a swap to get the variable timing in their car. Just because its not on a focus, doesn't mean it's not a great idea.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess you missed my point. The only way to have a truly variable torque band is to adjust 3 major parameters. The intake track the exhuast track and the cam lift /duration centerline every 100 or so rpm. This would keep the torque the same at every single point along teh torque curve. Variable timing electronic controled systems gives you 2 choices of the 80 cam profiles you would need to attain a split personality. (such as those found in firraris with 3d cam lobes) Now using a little math here the b16`s redline at 8200 valvetrain dynamics in realizim change every 100 rpms so you would need 82 cam profiles. Intake and exhaust tunning would need the same amount 82 so we have 82 * 82 * 82 now that gives us 551368 diffrent possibilities that the engine would need to obtain a maximum torque curve over the entire operating range.

There is only so much that the cam can be enlarged without causing high rpm reversion and heat charging your intake air. So of the 82 cam profiles that would be required lets say that without exhaust header and intake manifold modifications that this limits you to cams that peak at our around 6500-7000 beyond that reversion is increased and power drops because of overlap.

http://openloopmotorsports.com/h22dyno.jpg now lets take a look at this fine example of a vtec engine. The largest avalable. and most powerful for that matter. Look at the torque curve. nice level bumps up for 1500 rpms and falls off like any other engine. Like what? like any other engine... whoa dude.. that sucks.. and this engine has a tuned ram intake tube to eliminate the drop in torque that is usaully experienced just before the torque hump. Now.. Lets trace the pzev engine torque line for instance with similiar mods Intake/exhaust. hmmm... interesting that the torque hump that was only obtainable through vtec is now evident on a non vtec vehicle.. Now why is that happening. hrmm.. then after the hump the pzev falls off and h22a accels. MUST BE THE VTEC? well sorta..

H22a has a very nice top end all the way out to 7800 rpms.. Well lets look into the heart of the sitaution. The h22a has shorter intake runners and comes stock witha tuned length header. much like that of the svt focus. The h22a is also a very over square engine compared to the 2.3 duratech. Which cuts revability. The PZEV also has the inherent flaw of 2 cats blocking its by way both mounted extremely close to the head with horrible flow characteristics. Where as the h22 dynod here has no cats behind the engine. Opening up this inherent flow added atleast 10 -15 horsepower and torque all around for everyone.

Now its been found that a duratech with a race header and an intake manifold comparable to that of the h22 greatly exceeds the h22 ability to produce power 215-220 horsepower and 160-170 ft lbs . Now with this glorious technology why would the h22 over square engine be loosing out to the ancient technology undersquare duratech. Oh wait. because of the increase mechanization and incresed size of the valve train we flat ran out of places to put ports.. Well i guess thats why our champ is now flowing 230 instead of 300 or 360. Now lets take some more math class here. if you have an intake cam open 252 degrees at .050 @452 inches of lift lets say on the vtec and at all valve lifts the duratech has 30 cfm over the vtec and the duratech has the stock 206 @ 0.050 cam at .352 lift. the areas under each curve is going to be just a little larger then the duratechs at every rpm with vtec kicked in. Where as when the vtec is not kicked in the "street side" of the vtec cam is like 214 i think at .050 or so @ .350 or around it. but its being heavily outflowed in the lower rpms by the huge flow that the duratech is producing thus the lack of lowend torque apparent in the vtec engines. . So. Whats the actaul gain your seeing from vtec.

Well. your getting an engine that isnt paticularly good at any one thing. Not really torquey down low and not really explosive up top. Just kind of average. And what happens when the Tuners push the power levels to race levels. Whered the vetech go??? Oh we put weld there and gound it out to make good flowing ports. Not because they dont care about streetability. But because the engine cant make big numbers sucking through a strawl.

So anyways how much power do you see when you drop stage 3 crowers into a stock engine without any other modifications header/intake manifold... bout 8 to 10 well i dont know about you but i went from 111 to 119 and that was after a dyno tune. Whats the first thing the people in the zetec forum scream CAMS ARNT WORTH IT ON A STOCK CAR. you want 8 to 10 horsepower grab an airfilter. Not a valve train thats heavy full of friction restricts port size and has more chance to fail.

I wouldnt put vtec on my vehicle even if i had a chance. its not worth it. And i couldnt count the amount of times i had to replace the valve train in my buddy`s h22 after he went down to the track with his big crower vtec cams. The ramp rates that the cams had caused excessive tappet wear and he went through 2 sets of those cams in a year. and 3 valve trains. Whats the reason. More inertia on the valve train from the larger mechanisims. Acceleration and control is a definate problem.

Well im done bitching. I cant defend it anymore after all the problems iv had with it. but thats just me. Why dont you try maintaining a 230 whp h22 for a couple years. I think your opinion would change.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Btw Give me the extra 16000 he paid for his s2000 and id be at nopi nationals
S2000 suck.. 3000 pound roadster with an undersized 4 cylinder making enough power to make it.. kinda of quick. Would be a much better car with a v6. But because it revs to 10000 rpms its the greatest low to mid nine second car ever devolped.. Go buy a camaroe SS or SVT cobra and rev to 5500 and run low eigts stock....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My old roommate owned an H22a powered prelude before he sold it to buy his camaro. That car was really well made, and had no problems with anything. I guess if you think you can make a better 4 banger n/a than the h22a then have at it. But, frankly by the time someone does the h22a will be about 20 years old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts