Ford Focus Forum banner

Stock Cam Gears

510 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RainyZX3 
#1 ·
I posted this in Zetec tuning, but I think it might actually belong here.
Is there a way to find out how your stock cam gears are set? I know that they aren't all really 0,0 out of the factory. Then,if possible, how do you actually set them to 0,0 or whatever?

#2 ·
i would assume like this... (although i just got the adjustables)
remove the valve cover, set the car to top dead center...... then look at the slots where the cam gear alignment tool fits. if it doesn't slide in easy, you're off. if it wont go in at all, you're off. back off or forward till you get the tool in, then set the car to TDC again.... and retighten the gears. it's a T55 bolt.

it would be easier to get adjustable gears tho....

#3 ·
The problem here is that there aren't any TDC marks to go by, the manual say's to put the crankshaft key at the 12:00 position, install the cam's using the alighment tool then install your cam gear's and torque the bolts ... not very sceientific, what may look to be 12:00 to you may be a slight bit different to me. The best and most accurate way is to use a degree wheel and / or a TDC tool and create some kind of pointer and mark the crank pulley for TDC, then align the two and follow the rest of the instructions for installing the cam gears. This should give you about the best your gonna get using stock gears. Adjustable gears are still the best way to go having the cam's tuned on a dyno.

#4 ·
The manual tells You to put the crankshaft keyway at 12 o' clock, then install the crankshaft TDC pin and then turn the crank into the pin. Then install the cam alignment tool. That methos is very close to TDC and is actually better than timing marks because even with timing marks You could get the cam off just a little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.