Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any gains to be found here? I have a Magnaflow exhaust, plans for eventually adding a shorty header and hi-flow cat, but right now only have money for a FS flex pipe. I don't want a race header, I'd like to keep the car at the volume it is now.

1.) Is an aftermarket flex (the FS flex pipe) going to make my exhaust any louder?

2.) Are there any gains to be had by installing this?

3.) What is the diameter of the stock flex pipe vs. the FS flex pipe?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
1. Not Much, If ANY can be attributed to the Flex-Pipe alone.
2. Yes. How much is hard to say exactly. I added mine at the same time as my Bosal Catback.
3. I've forgotten. (Duh....??) The difference is immediately visible though. Try a "Search" for the FocusSport or FS Flex-Pipe if nobody comes through w/ the dimensions.
Another option is the Bosal Flex-Pipe, which is a very high-quality bolt-in replacement of the same size, which requires no alteration for installation. I have the FS one, and had to bore the bolt-holes on both ends to get things to line up. I'm assuming it was specifically designed for the FS "Race" pipe....????

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
I have the FS one, and had to bore the bolt-holes on both ends to get things to line up. I'm assuming it was specifically designed for the FS "Race" pipe....????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Interesting... anyone else have this problem?

BTW, thanks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
i really liked that mod, its 1 of the few i have left.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Any noticable change in volume? (This is important, as my local cops will eat me alive if the car gets any louder.)

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
nope, i have a bosal on my zx3 (its actually a wagon exh cut down 4 the zx3, bigger resonator)...

and its just fine. md and pa cops r sticklers on this stuff, so thats a good baseline. i'll prolly throw on a silencer kit 4 the bosal 2 make it even quieter, and also leave myself open 2 think bout a high flow cat.

-Ult

[ 11-29-2002, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ArchAngel, I have the Bosal flex on my ZX3. No noticable difference in Dbs. Very easy bolt-on too. Can't remember the size right off hand though. I can check tommorow if you need to know diameter.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
"The FocusSport Extension Pipe with Flex Joint is designed to be used with our Race Header to help maximize exhaust flow. Construction consists of mandrel bent 14-gauge aluminized steel tubing, 3/8" thick flanges, and a 2 1/4" diameter stainless steel flex joint. We replace the 2" diameter OEM unit with our 2 1/4" diameter mandrel bent Extension Pipe with Flex Joint, which connects to the Race Header collector flange and then also connects to the flange of our FocusSport exhaust system. Finished in a polished ceramic coating that can withstand constant temperatures of 1200° Fahrenheit."

[ 12-01-2002, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: zx3ford ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Buy the Bosal Flex my man, beautiful fit and finish. Bosal Will really never let you down either, as they have treated me right with questions and answers...I have the most Bosal parts allowed so far for a Foci from Bosal...Awww yeah and that Cat they have brewin up is next...gotta be good....

Robert

P.s. No real noise increase, also i believe if my memory serves me, top end was freed up a tad when driving...have fun deciding man!

[ 12-01-2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Sir_Gawain ]

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
i had a little noise increase with my bosal. at least i noticed it and so did the guy helping me to install the thing. it wasn't very much, but my MBRP got a little deeper if not louder.

as for gains: it was worth the money. i noticed a nice gain in mid-top end and it really felt like it freed up the flow a lot. in fact it was enough so that it felt like it freed up the exhaust as much as the entire cat-back did the day i put that on. as far as mods go you can't go wrong with this one.

Nate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts