Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would to know to those who have switched from a stock to SVT springs (and/or suspension) is there noticable difference. I know ride height is slight changed. From stock to svt its about a .75 drop. But I would like to know is there a very noticable difference? In handeling or in driving? Anything actually.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Oh hell yes - there's a HUGE difference in how the car drives. You feel much more connected to the road, and the ride motions are much better controlled.

This is if you get the whole kit. You'd be stupid not to; the shocks make a much bigger difference than the springs alone.

Get it. You'll love it. Just be wary of changing the rear springs - have a dealer with the correct spring compressor do those if you can. Any time spent in winter weather makes taking the suspension apart very frustrating.

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
Having just switched to an SVT suspension last weekend, I can tell you there is a MASSIVE difference in teh way the car handles. This is how all Foci should handle. This is one of the best mods I have done to my car by far.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Absolutely.

The SVT springs are 10% stiffer in front and 20% stiffer in the back than the ZX3, according to Ford SVT sales literature.

20% is a big difference...

The struts and shocks (dampers) are revalved. The high-speed damping is reduced and the low-speed damping is increased over stock valving.

The front swaybars are the same on both the SVT and ZX3 at 21mm; the 21mm SVT rear bar is 1mm bigger than the ZX3, adding to balance out understeer in addition to the 20% increase in rear spring rate.

Although there may be a need for firmer spring rates and damper valving on the racetrack, this is an excellent road car suspension.

Overall, it's what the motoring press has raved about since day one. The SVT Focus's suspension is critically acclaimed.

Just listen to the happy 'jetters posting in this thread.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the Eibach Pro kit and rear swaybar on my first ZX3 and now recently switched to the complete SVT kit and am awaiting an H&R rear swaybar as well as experiencing stock suspension on the ZX3's a ZX5 and a wagon. The SVT kit as a whole is the best controled and best handling by far without sacrificing ride quality. It rides firmer but isn't harsh. The lowering is mild but improves looks and lowers Cg but again still allows for enogh suspension travel to not bottom out. The complete kit is ~$250 and comparing that amount to anything else equal to it I can say it was the best money I have spent for making a difference yet to a Focus.

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
Absolutely.

The SVT springs are 10% stiffer in front and 20% stiffer in the back than the ZX3, according to Ford SVT sales literature.

20% is a big difference...

The struts and shocks (dampers) are revalved. The high-speed damping is reduced and the low-speed damping is increased over stock valving.

The front swaybars are the same on both the SVT and ZX3 at 21mm; the 21mm SVT rear bar is 1mm bigger than the ZX3, adding to balance out understeer in addition to the 20% increase in rear spring rate.

Although there may be a need for firmer spring rates and damper valving on the racetrack, this is an excellent road car suspension.

Overall, it's what the motoring press has raved about since day one. The SVT Focus's suspension is critically acclaimed.

Just listen to the happy 'jetters posting in this thread.

I thought the sway bars were 22mm? I didnt know the front bar was the same as the ZX3.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
22 mm's aftermarket.

ZX3 front bar is 21 mm.

ZX3 rear bar is 20 mm.

SVT front bar is 21 mm.

SVT rear bar is 21 mm, which is why the kit includes only the rear bar...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Please buy this whole kit, it will be the best thing you will ever do haha. Honestly it gives the car a whole different attitude and the more you drive it and are able to push it, the more you learn how brilliant it is. Get some nice tires and you'll be outhandling the majority of all other FWD cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts