Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this work? Would this work well? Would it be worth even trying? I realize that new and custom parts would be required, but I found a used stock turbo for pretty cheap and I'm thinking of putting it in my car or my wifes Impreza RS... of course I'm also probably being stupid

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Anyone?

I have info on putting it it an RS 2.5, but my wifes car is already faster then mine darnit

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It would be no different, or any less hard, than putting a turbo from any vehicle in a Focus. There's nothing special about the turbo from a WRX. If you want power, and don't have 4-5k dollars, go supercharger or nitrous.

You can do a NX wet shot nitrous kit safely and reliably (just ask anyone of the countless people on the board using this exact setup) for around 800 dollars, or 1000 if you want to run a good bottle heater.

See the "Junkyard Turbo" thread in this forum for more info. It shouldn't be too far from the top, someone just started it a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The turbo is too small. It will choke at around 6000rpm.

Search this forum... I believe I explained this before in better detail.

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's what we put in my boy's zetec cougar. Without extra fuel or timing it was running around 160 hp at 6000 rpm. With 42 lb. injectors, 70 mm MAF and a chip from street flight in AZ it was somewhere over 200 hp. 254 hp with a 35 shot of nitrous. All runs were limited to 6000 rpms. He got greedy and blew the motor big time when they upped the timing looking for more horsepower.

So my answer is yes it will work but if you are looking for major horsepower you might have to go with a custom turbo and you need to adress fuel/timing issues. You can knock 150/160 horses but it still feels much better than 105 from a stock focus.

Louie.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
That's a common belief that people have.

It works on a 2.0L Subaru, so it'll work on a 2.0L Zetec, and it'll spool plenty fast.

People have this thing for big turbos... I don't see why.. they are not as streetable.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That's a common belief that people have.

It works on a 2.0L Subaru, so it'll work on a 2.0L Zetec, and it'll spool plenty fast.

People have this thing for big turbos... I don't see why.. they are not as streetable.
That is what I thought too. However, after doing a little math, this is what I concluded. The demand for our zetec is different than that of the Subaru's.

As for another example, I also worked it out for the 14B (which is a bit bigger than Subaru's 13g) I'm using in my kit. Anything over 6500 is beyond the 60% efficiency island at any pressure ratio.

I guess choke was the wrong word... How about superheated.

Take a look...

The airflow for the Focus at 6000rpm with a pressure ratio of 1.6 (~9psi) will be approximately 320cfm, making a few assumptions. Look where that lies on the map. That is JUST at 6000rpm!! So to stay higher than the 60% island with the 13G, you would have to stay below 5500rpm.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What if you ran with a mild boost, say 5 - 6? Would you still have to stay below 6000 rpm?
I take it regardless you would NEED some sort of heavy duty intercooler?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
First, a intercooler is a must, with any turbo setup. Especially for a custom job on a car not designed for one.

Second, pretty much all oem turbo's are designed for quick spool at the expense of upper end power so the WRX turbo is no different. Though the WRX is not as quick a spool as I'd like, it's not bad.

I had 185lb/tq at 2700rpm and 211 at 5100rpm at the wheels in 4th. At that point the tq drops off to the 6500rpm redline and 144 wtq. For Hp at my initial full boost rpm(2700) I have 86whp. At 4000rpm I have 155whp, and at my peak tq rpm I have 199whp. It stays above 190 whp until 6200 then it dips down to 185whp at the stock 6500rpm redline. Stock WRX turbo, 9 psi and full 3" exhaust. Soon as I get my new motor in; this is what I'm gonna run untill I get both cam gears and head back to Streetflight to get the chip fine tuned.

It doesn't seem to me to choke much at the redline. As for how it would rev to 7000, I'm not gonna rev it past the stock redline so I don't care. The stock Zetec is not a high rev engine and doesn't really breath well with stock cams anyway so if you do get a bigger turbo it will still drop 20 to 30+ hp from it's peak to the redline anyway. You look at most dyno charts of stock Foci turbo setups and you'll see mild to big drop offs past 5500rpm.

The only problem with a stock WRX turbo is the funky turbo manifold will limit your upgrade options to costly WRX upgrades. So if you're content with just 9-13 psi and 200-220whp max, the WRX is ok. Make sure your exhaust and downpipe are at least 3", cause that will make the engine breathe easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts