Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get it. Ford claims 130, but I've seen countless dyno's & posts saying that it's only like 105?
How come it's do far off? Is it measured at different points? Like brake hp, at the wheels, flywheel? I just don't get it, but oh well I'm sure it's a dumb question, just trying to figure some stuff out. Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Small problem is that ford overates the engine to put out that. But ideally it can put that out at the crank. Tkae 105 plus 15 percent for the tranny then another 5 percent for various pulleys and such and you got 130hp at the crank.

Also there are engine variations of 5hp. Personally I say do your bolt ons and get yourself an esslinger head package. Well worth the cash.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now the only upgrades I have are all my lights, and a bosal exhuast. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Volant next. Power has a DEFINATE priority over looks to me. Eventually I plan to tint & paint the side moldings, mirrors, etc, but anyway. I can't do too much because it's still under warranty & I don't want to mess anything up. I want to get udp's but I hear people have problems with accesories at idle? And like winter here with a weak heater would kill me, lol, North Dakota, it's coold here.

[ 11-24-2002, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: mick_9 ]

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had MAC performance UDP for quite a while, and have no problem with engine or heating. I live in Minnesota which is next to North Dakota. My heater in the car works perfectly. I haven't seen someone experience any problem with UDP.
I'd say that UDP is really worth. I can feel the power output when reaching about 4500 rpm.

·
Registered
799 Posts
this isnt really a part of your topic but i think the focus has some torque but really lack horsepower, i mean if theres 3 more ppl in my car, damn is the car sluggish. the car is responsive and torquey but just doesnt have enough power thats all...after i installed some mods, it did improve the power alot like udp, intake and exhaust, i guess its just because i have an atx (so theres more drivetrain loss?) and not a manual but mayb i should get jrsc

[ 11-24-2002, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by chris_k:
this isnt really a part of your topic but i think the focus has some torque but really lack horsepower
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Horsepower = Torque * RPM / 5252

More torque = MORE horsepower at a given RPM

Less torque = LESS horsepower at a given RPM

Not to rag on you chris_k, but when will people get the CONNECTION between torque and horsepower.

Horsepower and Torque are just two different ways to quantify the ability of your engine to do work. You know, like move your car.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
If you take into account gearing torque multiplication, hp matters. If you are going 60mph and have a redline at 25,000rpm... you could be geared really short so that you could still be in 1st gear at 20,000rpm so your say 100ftlbs of torque (380hp at that rpm) would be multiplied compared to 100ftlbs in 3rd gear.

But for normal street driving (especially with passengers), even if you had rods and pistons of unobtanium... you still wouldn't be cruising at super-high rpms. Would be too loud and extremely fuel inefficient. Its why driving a Celica GTS feels so gutless despite its light weight, but does actually haul-butt if you rev it.

With regard to having only 105hp at the wheels; universally manufacturers tend to rate their peak hp and torque figures at the CRANK. But the consumer generally isn't going to take their engine out of their car, so they are going to be measuring their hp and torque at the WHEELS. So you have to account for all that friction and loss of power before its actually put to the ground. You'll see FWD MTX losing the least power, RWD MTX close 2nd, FWD ATX 3rd, RWD ATX 2nd, AWD MTX 4th, and AWD ATX is typically pretty bad.

A few cars actually dyno close to their factory hp/torque figures. An example being the new turbo Neon or Camaro Z28... what this means is just that the factory is underrating (lying) about how much power their engines make. They are actually making much more power than that.

Hard to guess, but typically for FWD cars they say to take away like 10% of your hp and a fixed hp number (otherwise it starts to get off at high hp figures). For us I think we agreed that (whp) = (crankhp) - (crankhp)(10%) - 10. So if you want to compare turbotom's 436whp shootin' the gas, the factory would rate that at about 496hp.... meaning about the same peak hp as this 8.3 liter V10 engine:

If you use a fixed percentage (like 17% loss), you will be still about spoton for small boltons since the power level is not that different, but for turbo guys and what-not it'd look like we are losing way too much power thru the tranny.

[ 11-24-2002, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Ducman69 ]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shevv, do the MAC udp replace all 3 pulleys or just one? Because I have seen a couple different udp's, some replacing just one and the others replacing all three. If there is no problem then I will definately get the udp's, they seem like the best bang for the buck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts