Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got some gas cleaner or some such thing at wal-mart today for $0.99 a bottle. it says to use it every tank and it will increase gas mileage.. Is this a worthy product??/

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
With Modern Gas being as it is, I'd say it's a Waste of money, and pure Marketing to use it w/ EVERY Tankful.
It might be beneficial to use every oil-change or so.
It also depends on how you drive. If you never really bring the Revs up, then you might use it more often to clear carbon deposits. if you usually have it wound up, your deposits are probably much more minor, and wouldn't require as much maintenance.
I have NO IDEA if it would be beneficial to fight the buildup from the Gas-tank Shedding that causes the early-Focus Fuel-Pump Failures.
I'm guessing not...

[ 05-24-2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have NO IDEA if it would be beneficial to fight the buildup from the Gas-tank Shedding that causes the early-Focus Fuel-Pump Failures.
I'm guessing not...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that would be so good if it did. i already got the pump changed last year for that probelm. i don't need to buy a nother one.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
As a Auto Technician I would say about every 15k Miles but also be sure to keep up on checking the fuel filter. Anything before the filter that stuff moves is gonna get trapped, and you never know how much that is gonna be.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Well, unless it can Dissolve the shed lining of early Focus Fuel Tanks, it COULD actually be a Problem, by actually adding to the debris in Filter-Screens.
OR, if it can dissolve it enough to go through the Fuel-pump screen, but not enough to go through the fuel-filter, THAT could be a Problem.
IF it has NO effect on the shed "Stuff" and you're only considering "Regular Trash", it would probably be beneficial every 5-15,000 miles.
CERTAINLY Not Every Tankful....

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I try to live by the saying "you get what you pay for." In most things, it seems to be pretty accurate. So I use a bottle of Techron every 15k. Jeez, I sound like a commercial.

^insert pic of me holding bottle, label out, with stupid expression on my face

1 - 6 of 6 Posts