Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! After having installed my short throw shifter, the shift knob doesn't align properly. When in the proper position it's too loose; when tightened, it ends up rotated about 270 degrees short.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Maybe put a small peice of cardboard inside the knob, then tighten it down and line it up. My STS lined up great even though i had to really twist it to get it lined up perfect.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe put a small peice of cardboard inside the knob, then tighten it down and line it up. My STS lined up great even though i had to really twist it to get it lined up perfect.
Did you hand tighten it or use a tool?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was going to say something perverted regarding getting your knob straightened!

Rather, I've heard of ppl putting cardboard or something in there to act as a spacer... Has anyone tried blue loctite?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Did you hand tighten it or use a tool?
Hand POWAR.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok just did this a wek or less ago with my car. Getting the knob back into place i first hand tightened it to where i thought it should be and if i felt that wasn't enough i used a wrench to tighten it a bit more to make it straight. Now this was with the steeda STS so i dunno if that'll work with teh one your using or not but give it a try.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok just did this a wek or less ago with my car. Getting the knob back into place i first hand tightened it to where i thought it should be and if i felt that wasn't enough i used a wrench to tighten it a bit more to make it straight. Now this was with the steeda STS so i dunno if that'll work with teh one your using or not but give it a try.
Yeah, I've got the Steeta. I'll try with a wrench, but I'm doubtful it'll go another 280 degrees or so. Maybe I'll insert a washer to make it tighten up sooner.

·
Registered
105 Posts
280 degrees is less than a full thread turn so once it's hand tight i bet you can get a bit of wrench on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
quick question for you... did it make much of a difference to drive? I was thinking about getting one and was wondering if it was worth it

·
Registered
105 Posts
Big difference to drive and i think anyone here will tell you that too. Supposed to be even more of one with the rear motormount done too but if you can't afford both do the STS then get the mount. Once i get my mount and put it in i'll let everyone know if i can feel a difference from that or not.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If all else fails use a dab of clear silicone on the top of the shifter let it sit overnight to dry then screw your knob on, and the silicone will accually act kinda like rubber and crush a little as you tighten it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quick question for you... did it make much of a difference to drive? I was thinking about getting one and was wondering if it was worth it
I have both the mount and STS. To tell the truth, I'm not sure I'd do it again if I had it to do over.

The main thing I notice is more vibration, especially at idle, making the car seem a lot less refined than with the stock mount. While the shift throws are somewhat less than before, it really doesn't seem to change the driving experience much.

If you have some money to spend I would say go for the custom tune first of all. The Ford software really doesn't do a good job in the 2-3k rpm region, which I find is very important.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts