Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to order my new header and i just wanted to hear from u guys with a street header. How hard was it to install? what problems did u run into during ur install? did u see big gains, or is it even worth the money? hope u guys can help me out.

thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its probably one of the most time consuming mods you can do to our cars. As for gains, it helps but you would probably see exactly how much it helps if you put it on a dyno.

With street headers the best thing I can say is get some of those ratcheting wrenches like this-

It makes those hard to reach bolts alot easier to tighten when putting the aftermarket header on. The stock header can be taken off with regular ratchet sets but because of the bends of the new header it blocks some of the bolts. Have fun.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A definite pain in the arse. For some reason I could not get the EGR pipe off the cat so I had to manuver around that as well. With catback, iceman CAI, FCTB, ADJ Cam Gears (+1,-3)I saw a peak gain of less than 1 HP and 1 ft lb of TQ. Maybe my cat is getting plugged or something but alone this appears to be a waste of time unless you want that shiny look that much. I'm planning on getting a HF cat so I'm not too worried as it's advantages will be more fruitful with a better cat but by itself the gains of 7 HP are not realistic to me. I hit 127-128 ft lbs of TQ so I wasn't bone stock but still, don't expect 7 ponies for all your hard work.

If you can afford the cat now it would save you some time to do it all at once. All things being equal I woulda rather waited until I could afford both. I through it on the night before a dyno day and was disappointed I went through what I went through. By the way I had the JBA 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Here's a pretty good How-To Article, http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/jba-header.htm

Street/short header aren't the biggest power mod for the money, typically 3-4 HP. As 140orbust suggested, if you can afford to do it at the same time, get a hi-flo cat, and you might as well spend another $120 on a 2.25" flexpipe while you are under there. Especially since you have to remove the stock catalytic converter to R&R the header anyway...

After you do the exhaust, you will find more horsepower by doing adjustable cam gears.

BTW, I have a nice header + hi-flow cat + flexpipe combo deal going on right now
See either my site or the Sponsor Deal board on this site for details...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts