Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it street legal to turbocharge a Svt Focus in California? If it is what would you do to make it street legal to register the car?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm no expert, but no.

Sent from my iPhone accidentally, due to the gate being left ajar

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
I would say it would be very hard to impossible with the CA Emission Laws , I have a very nice DYI SVT Turbo kit if anything changes

Tom

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
If you leave the factory catalytic converter in place, you would be close. But the tune you would need to run for the kit would most likely throw legalities of it out the window.

However, i'd say a kit leaving the factory cat alone would be step one, step two make friends with a shop that can pass you and step 3 make sure it's tuned by someone who doesn't need to turn off any ancillary systems that would cause you to automatically fail the OBD test.

- Drew

·
Registered
152 Posts
There was one supercharger kit with a CARB sticker for zetec engines, can't remember if it was legal on SVT's (out of production).

Basic answer is that you'd have to get a kit certified by CARB to be actually legal, not a simple process.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
JRSC and Powerworks were both carb legal.

But you had to use their tune for it to count and that's completely out the window, as is replacement parts.

- Drew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts